X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Return to Kilting at Work

Some of you old timers may recall years ago I was kilted at work...off and on...swung with the CEOs moods. On the final prohibition I grieved it formally and the word came back from him, "You can wear any F***ing thing you want." Which was an angry "Don't you dare!" rather than the approval it seemed. The CEO being an angry bully I figured wasn't worth the fight.

Time passes and 8 months ago the CEO sells the agency (I'm a professional counselor) to a huge agency. Last month he retired.

So the new agency made a big thing out of St. Patrick's Day. So during the build up hoo-rah I formally asked the Human Resources dept if there'd be any problem with wearing a kilt to work for the festivities. Their response is as long as it meets the dress code for skirts and isn't too short.

So today, I was back at work kilted. Many compliments, especially from newer coworkers who knew nothing of the old kilt wars. Tartan is Ancient Macdonald of Kingsburgh hand sewn by Kathy Lare. My Viking ancestors settled in Uig, Skye about 5 miles up the road from Kingsburgh.

Yes, I prefer vests over sporrans.....shows more tartan and MUCH more comfortable and MUCH easier to access "stuff" and vests hold more stuff.

Last edited by Riverkilt; 17th March 23 at 09:12 PM.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

2. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Some of you old timers may recall years ago I was kilted at work...off and on...swung with the CEOs moods. On the final prohibition I grieved it formally and the word came back from him, "You can wear any F***ing thing you want." Which was an angry "Don't you dare!" rather than the approval it seemed. The CEO being an angry bully I figured wasn't worth the fight.

Time passes and 8 months ago the CEO sells the agency (I'm a professional counselor) to a huge agency. Last month he retired.

So the new agency made a big thing out of St. Patrick's Day. So during the build up hoo-rah I formally asked the Human Resources dept if there'd be any problem with wearing a kilt to work for the festivities. Their response is as long as it meets the dress code for skirts and isn't too short.

So today, I was back at work kilted. Many compliments, especially from newer coworkers who knew nothing of the old kilt wars. Tartan is Ancient Macdonald of Kingsburgh hand sewn by Kathy Lare. My Viking ancestors settled in Uig, Skye about 5 miles up the road from Kingsburgh.

Yes, I prefer vests over sporrans.....shows more tartan and MUCH more comfortable and MUCH easier to access "stuff" and vests hold more stuff.
    Glad you were able to wear your kilt at work again!

I started wearing my kilt to corporate office job about a year ago after we started going back into the office. I had asked my manager if it was appropriate to wear for our casual Fridays, but after he gave me a non-answer– something along the lines of "I usually wear jeans on casual Fridays"– I decided to go ahead anyway. Much better received than anticipated; later on that month, our Head of Human Resources complimented the kilted office wear! I took that to be my green-light to wear it without fear of reprisal.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Akool For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! So many HR folks get chicken - even though they espouse honoring cultures.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted at wotk

I work in a cube type office as a senior structural analysis engineer a'd last year wore a family tartan kilt to work on Tartan Day. It was well recieved, no complaints. Of course the usual questions... I have been wearing a kilt to work on fridays and on celtic holidays ever since... the first time I brought in fresh scones... that cemented the deal!

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Kitfoxdave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea with the Scones!