X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    21st October 21
    Location
    Memphis,Tn,USA
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Kilt alterations

    How would someone with no sewing experience move the straps on a kilt? I have one that is just a little too large even on the last hole. Is is easy to do yourself or should I trust an alterations tailor with my expensive kilt? I'm just afraid of ruining it.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it). Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clan Urquhart.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    7th February 11
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    9,254
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do it!

    I'm no tailor, but I've done it successfully several times, for myself and others. If I remember properly, you need to move the strap on the side that goes through the hole, and the buckle on the other side.

    The one thing that is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL, is that you sew right through the whole waistband. If you only sew through the tartan, it will stretch, distort, and possibly rip. If you go through the tartan, stabilizer, and lining, nobody will ever know it, and your kilt will remain strong and undistorted.

    Use a very strong thread.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    4th April 22
    Location
    Marianna FL
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the opposite problem. I've gained more than a few pounds around the middle and either need to let my kilt out to the original waist size, or use extender straps (which I've been doing).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    7th February 11
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    9,254
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokerr2163 View Post
    I have the opposite problem. I've gained more than a few pounds around the middle and either need to let my kilt out to the original waist size, or use extender straps (which I've been doing).
    Same process.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

  5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Join Date
    21st June 22
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    How would someone with no sewing experience move the straps on a kilt? I have one that is just a little too large even on the last hole. Is is easy to do yourself or should I trust an alterations tailor with my expensive kilt? I'm just afraid of ruining it.
    As I recall, Barb Tewksbury has a helpful post about this somewhere in this forum.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    21st October 21
    Location
    Memphis,Tn,USA
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PiperPadre View Post
    As I recall, Barb Tewksbury has a helpful post about this somewhere in this forum.
    I did a search and found that exact post. She made the kilt I want to alter so it makes sense to follow her instructions.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it). Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clan Urquhart.

  8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Join Date
    21st June 22
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    I did a search and found that exact post. She made the kilt I want to alter so it makes sense to follow her instructions.
    As you know from dealing with Barb, she's quite generous with her time and talent if you have any inquiries.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    24th September 14
    Location
    raleigh. nc
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did this last Thursday. Couldn't find a thimble so I used a piece of leather to push the needle all the way through. Stuck myself several times till I got the hang of it. OK so I'm a klutz. But I did get a kilt that I inherited to fit me. Good luck!

  11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Join Date
    27th October 09
    Location
    Kerrville, Texas
    Posts
    5,593
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    The one thing that is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL, is that you sew right through the whole waistband. If you only sew through the tartan, it will stretch, distort, and possibly rip. If you go through the tartan, stabilizer, and lining, nobody will ever know it, and your kilt will remain strong and undistorted.
    While it is indeed important to stitch through the structural elements, I avoid stitching through the lining. Granted, as you said, no one will ever know. But I have found it helpful to carefully undo the light whip-stitching that keeps the liner secured at the bottom edge and peel it back so that I can visually confirm where my relocated buckle stitches are penetrating through the "innards". Then whip-stitch the liner back into place for a neat and tidy finish.

  13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0