X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Livery Buttons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Livery Buttons

After discovering livery buttons last night I went through Etsy and purchased two with the intent of using them as lapel pins. Does anyone have an idea of how to secure it to the lapel without having to alter the button? I could have it cast in silver or gold to avoid ruining the original.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the second one

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a button hole? If so, a split ring would work in the same way as buttons are fixed on a good quality doublet.

Meyer & Mortimer Doublet 1942 Button securing.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What figheadair said.

https://www.jhiggins.net/split-rings...acket-buttons/

https://kiltsandmore.com/button-o-ri...614OR:len.html

I purchased several from Kilts and More for use on my tartan jacket and waistcoat and they work great.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I’ll have to bring it to a tailor to get the hole for a lapel pin made. Thant’s a very good solution. Won’t hurt the button. I can run a bar through the back like an old cap badge. If I have a few loops sewn in it will stop it from spinning

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some jackets have a 'button hole' in the lapel - usually a same-color thread stitched in the lapel to look like a button hole. I usually push my lapel pins through what looks like the rounded end of the "hole", nearest to the inside edge of the lapel, and secure them with a butterfly clutch catch.

There's not a real hole there, but it's easy enough to cut (VERY carefully) between the stitches to open up the hole. If you wind up cutting a few of the threads outlining the 'hole' when you open it up, it's a simple thing to over-stitch the "hem" of the "new" button hole using a similar color thread.

With a button like you have pictured, a split ring or a small cotter pin would secure your button to prevent it from falling out.
    John

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperalpha View Post
    I think I’ll have to bring it to a tailor to get the hole for a lapel pin made. Thant’s a very good solution. Won’t hurt the button. I can run a bar through the back like an old cap badge. If I have a few loops sewn in it will stop it from spinning
    You could take it to a tailor, but honestly this isn't a complicated job. Anyone with a sewing machine can do a buttonhole in short order, or you can even do it by hand. Do you know anyone who sews?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    You could take it to a tailor, but honestly this isn't a complicated job. Anyone with a sewing machine can do a buttonhole in short order, or you can even do it by hand. Do you know anyone who sews?
    My mum could do it. She‘s very good at sewing by hand. She’s making me a new kilt at the moment. Maybe I’ll ask her to add that to the list. Does the hole for lapel pins have a specific location?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperalpha View Post
    Does the hole for lapel pins have a specific location?
    Sort of, but hard for me to define. Match it to one or two other jackets that 'look right' to you.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Sort of, but hard for me to define. Match it to one or two other jackets that 'look right' to you.
    Thanks. I like the way King Charles has his. I’ll have to take the pin off when I’m piping. I don’t want my bass drone rubbing on it.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to piperalpha For This Useful Post: