X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    There are lots of tartans that should be buried in peat bogs...........
    NO NO NO! Absolutely not in a peat bog! They might last too long there!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I really like the soft muted colours of the fragment as it now appears. But what if House of Edgar or somebody "re-imagines" the tartan, using their ordinary yarns, turning it into just another modern tartan? I suppose I'd have to see what they came up with.
    Well, first I would like to see a mockup of a best guess on what the original colours would have looked like. I'm not overly interested in new tartans that are made to look like they've been buried in a peat bog, like the "reproduction" and "weathered" schemes. Been there, done that, got a bit bored with it. I've come full circle to where I appreciate historic tartans looking like they would have when they were made and used. Especially if they use colours that mimic what the original dyes would have looked like (and not some fanciful interpretation of them, like the "ancient" colour schemes). For instance, some of the modern recreations of old Wilson's colours.

But beyond the colours used, I'd be interested to see what the tartan pattern would have looked like. Honestly, I can't tell much from the photos of this piece. Was it a busy pattern with a lot of colour changes in the sett? I mean, each person can probably look at the photo and guess what it may have looked like, but I'd be very interested to see what the actual historians who have studied it would come up with (*cough* figheadair)...

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Well, first I would like to see a mockup of a best guess on what the original colours would have looked like. I'm not overly interested in new tartans that are made to look like they've been buried in a peat bog, like the "reproduction" and "weathered" schemes. Been there, done that, got a bit bored with it. I've come full circle to where I appreciate historic tartans looking like they would have when they were made and used. Especially if they use colours that mimic what the original dyes would have looked like (and not some fanciful interpretation of them, like the "ancient" colour schemes). For instance, some of the modern recreations of old Wilson's colours.

But beyond the colours used, I'd be interested to see what the tartan pattern would have looked like. Honestly, I can't tell much from the photos of this piece. Was it a busy pattern with a lot of colour changes in the sett? I mean, each person can probably look at the photo and guess what it may have looked like, but I'd be very interested to see what the actual historians who have studied it would come up with (*cough* figheadair)...
    Tobus,

I am fortunate to have been able to examine the piece and take a series of descent photographs. I have made a reconstruction of the sett but cannot share it yet as I am working on a paper for submission to a journal and don't want to undermine that. All in due course.

6. The Following 13 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    NO NO NO! Absolutely not in a peat bog! They might last too long there!
    Yes they will be preserved for farmers 500 years from now to dig up, and for historians to reconstruct.

I imagine that being stained by peat for centuries will do these tartans a world of good.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone is doing a fantastic job with PR. I'm getting a news article in almost every day from a different source with a picture of this tartan and @figheadair.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCampbell16B View Post
    Someone is doing a fantastic job with PR. I'm getting a news article in almost every day from a different source with a picture of this tartan and @figheadair.
    If only there was an appearance fee.

10. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody know if this tartan will be registered as is, or with the original colours? It would be awesome one day to order bolts of clothe to be made in to kilts no matter which version is registered
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVgTGPvWpU7cAv4KJ4cWRpQ

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Logan View Post
    Does anybody know if this tartan will be registered as is, or with the original colours? It would be awesome one day to order bolts of clothe to be made in to kilts no matter which version is registered
    I suspect that both versions will be registered in due course.

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12