X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Dirk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dirk

For Stickman,

This is the only picture of a dirk I did probably 40 years ago when I did a lot of reenactments. I sold it to some guy in Winnipeg for $300. Canadian. The dirk handle is hawthorn. The knife and fork handles are bone.

20230326_104659 4.jpg
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job. Did you make the scabbard? I like doing the wood carving and the metal work but I don't like doing the leather work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a beauty! Nice work!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCampbell16B View Post
    For Stickman,

This is the only picture of a dirk I did probably 40 years ago when I did a lot of reenactments. I sold it to some guy in Winnipeg for $300. Canadian. The dirk handle is hawthorn. The knife and fork handles are bone.

are there any book or resources for handle carving?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In college I had a book which described how to do Celtic art, from the knotwork to the mythical beasts. I used a lathe to turn the basic form, then worked from there. There were several books with different dirk styles I pored over. I was lucky as well, in that I had a friend with an antique dirk, so I could see how it was laid out as well. I got pretty good at it, but really didn't follow up what with a family and all. But I still use the procedures to lay out lines to carve on the bits I do now for fun.

Vince Evans does fantastic work. Apparently he does have a book on carving dirks (I just found that out). Google "Evans Scottish dirk".
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCampbell16B View Post
    In college I had a book which described how to do Celtic art, from the knotwork to the mythical beasts. I used a lathe to turn the basic form, then worked from there. There were several books with different dirk styles I pored over. I was lucky as well, in that I had a friend with an antique dirk, so I could see how it was laid out as well. I got pretty good at it, but really didn't follow up what with a family and all. But I still use the procedures to lay out lines to carve on the bits I do now for fun.

Vince Evans does fantastic work. Apparently he does have a book on carving dirks (I just found that out). Google "Evans Scottish dirk".
    thanks so much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    Nice job. Did you make the scabbard? I like doing the wood carving and the metal work but I don't like doing the leather work.
    I did make the scabbard, but it was a heavy leather, without a wood frame, that came up around the haunces of the dirk. If I remember correctly earlier ones (like really early) were like that. The handle is really a later style (about 2nd quarter 18C). I should have put the knife and fork side by side, too.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that's a gorgeous dirk!!

It's so nice when someone has a real eye for the style from a historic time-period and makes something that feels authentic.

$300 eh?

It's worth ten times that now, probably.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, OCR. I appreciate that.