X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neck ties

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    I like shooting ties. I have a wool/silk tie in mustard with a pattern of stag heads on it as well as a burgundy tie from lands end with a flying mallard pattern.
    I agree. Shawn Maxwell was wearing a lovely shooting tie at the Salado Games last fall that I remember commenting on. It's a natural pairing with tweed. I hope he doesn't mind my sharing his photo here.

I think any sort of repeating logo can work very well with a kilt (and tattersall), if tastefully done. For me personally, I don't like paisley ties with a kilt. They are just a bit too busy and swirly to complement tartan or grid patterns. With so-called Saxon wear, the tie is supposed to be an accent piece, but not so with Highland wear. Don't let the tie outshine the kilt, or the tweed.

There's nothing wrong with a plain-coloured tie. Some ties, especially vintage ones, are more interesting with the texture than the colour. Again, my personal style choice here: I think texture is much more appealing in a tie than colour patterns. Many of my favourite vintage ties may have just one small design that appears below the knot, with the rest of the tie being a solid colour with a design in the texture of the tie. The texture designs are subtle enough that they're not seen until you're up close.

But IMHO knit ties are king for texture.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I agree. Shawn Maxwell was wearing a lovely shooting tie at the Salado Games last fall that I remember commenting on. It's a natural pairing with tweed. I hope he doesn't mind my sharing his photo here.
    Egads! That mug will give you nightmares for sure.

I'm a big fan of shooting ties with kilts, especially when worn with a tweed jacket and waistcoat so that they're not too visible. (Mind you, we don't have a lot of weather that allows for that type of dress in these parts, as it's generally too warm!)

Here are a few of my shooting-themed ties (and one fishing-themed tie to boot!).

Otherwise, I tend to stick to striped ties or a solid tie if I'm wearing the dread full-tartan kilt suit!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I am not a fan of “shooting ties” of the sort shown above , even for shooting! But of course it’s all down to personal choice, when all is said and done.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, if there could be only one, it would have to be my go-to tie.

Go to tie.jpg

8. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50E7786A-29D3-4D5B-9842-D9F37FA18EC5.jpg

Some of the ties I wear with my kilt. A Scout tie, my official university tie, an unofficial tie in my university colors, a few ties with hunting themes (the stag tie is from Jack Pyke of England), and a tie from the Fort George military tattoo.

Some were bought new but many were found used on eBay. The blue/feather tie is Italian silk and I found it at a thrift shop for a couple bucks, so you can get lucky. The tattoo tie was bought on clearance from the Fort George webstore.
    Last edited by FossilHunter; 23rd April 23 at 09:45 PM.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many years ago my brother bought a tie at a second hand shop in England. The only time he wore it some guy pointed at it and said, THE GUARDS! THE GUARDS! He couldn’t get the tie off fast enough after that and he never wore it again.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    Many years ago my brother bought a tie at a second hand shop in England. The only time he wore it some guy pointed at it and said, THE GUARDS! THE GUARDS! He couldn’t get the tie off fast enough after that and he never wore it again.
    My hunt for vintage ties proved fruitless over the weekend. I ended up buying a striped Italian designed tie off from ebay. I glad I did as I won't have to worry about wearing the wrong club tie.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason ties with castle motifs are interesting to me.

I've seen numerous versions of a three-turret castle, with the centre turret a big taller than the side ones, represent Edinburgh.

The two turrets with a ship in between is Cork City.

Dublin's castle has three big flames coming out of the top (not pictured here).

I found a photo showing the building one tie's image is based on.

There's a couple I don't know.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I'm not averse to a tartan tie - although I probably wear them more often when I am not wearing a kilt. The Shepherd's check is a recent addition (Shepherd - was a popular middle name in my family). Out of the striped ties, one of my favourites is actually an England Rugby supporters tie (I'm not by the way, so let's keep quiet about that).

I quite like the tweed ties and mixing them different tweeds - and I am on the lookout for a couple more...

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12