X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today on the south coast of England it is blisteringly hot - the only sensible options I have are my Tilly, straw hat with wide brim, or a parasol.

Convention is all very well - but practical protection should come first.
    I have noticed some young women who are going to regret wearing spaghetti strap tops today.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Today on the south coast of England it is blisteringly hot …
    I'm curious as to what is considered "blisteringly hot" in Dorset.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I'm curious as to what is considered "blisteringly hot" in Dorset.

Cheers,

SM
    Treading on tarmac with bare feet and deciding to go back in for shoes is the usual test.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Treading on tarmac with bare feet and deciding to go back in for shoes is the usual test.

Anne the Pleater
    Meanwhile, on an overcast day in the Houston area... And it'll only get hotter.

It's all relative compared to what you're used to, I suppose!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    Meanwhile, on an overcast day in the Houston area... And it'll only get hotter.

It's all relative compared to what you're used to, I suppose!

Cheers,

SM
    Also, air conditioning is rare in the UK. At least for private homes. I don't know how people can live without ac. They do and did in the past but still.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    Do the kilts look like Gordon?
    One of the sporrans can be seen fairly well, which looks like those worn by the Liverpool Scottish.

Do you know if any other regiments wore those hats?
    I'm not sure which regiments wore hats, and which wore sun helmets, for South Africa service. There's probably a Boer War expert who does.

I have a picture of my great uncle wearing one of those hats. He is also wearing a kilt apron so I can’t see his kilt.
    Is he wearing collar badges?

A clue might be his hose. He's probably wearing diced hosetops, and seeing whether they're red & white dice, or dark dice, narrows it down a bit. (The dark ones could be either red & black or red & dark green, which aren't always easy to distinguish in black & white photos.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 23rd June 23 at 04:16 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply OCR. I don’t see any collar badges or diced hose. I had put that down to being dressed for field duty. I have been trying to find out all I can about my father’s side of the family, and found some interesting stuff. My great grandfather was James Tory Cleland, he was born on the ship Tory in the bay of Biscay. I found out the ship was on the way to the island of Zanta it’s off the coast of Greece. My GG grandfather was stationed there. I know he had a brother, William, born on what is now Corfu. Seems like James and William were popular family names as I have found them as far back as I have got.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=ShaunMaxwell;1404200]I'm curious as to what is considered "blisteringly hot" in Dorset.

Cheers,

My cousin called me last week, it was getting late and he said he was going to bed and try to get some sleep. When I asked him why he said it was hot. I asked him how hot it was his reply shocked me. 90F . I never heard of that when I was there. Carlisle is in the north right up on the Scottish border. Nobody has AC and I don’t think they even have fans. When you are not equipped for those temperatures it has to be tough. Normally temperatures are around 70 on a good day.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From when I was 12 to 18 years old my family lived in the desert, where during the summer it reached 110f (43c) to 120f (49c) every day.

We thought nothing of it, riding bicycles around etc. It wasn't like we hunkered down in Air Conditioning all day.

Our car had what we called 4-60 Air Conditioning: roll down all 4 windows and go 60 miles an hour.

But the humidity was extremely low, below 10% which helped make the heat bearable.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 6th July 23 at 06:38 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12