X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Balmoral or Glengary with trousers

At what time this is appropriate or acceptable to where the Balmoral or the glengary with pants or non-kilted outfits? I drive a city bus and I am usually wearing my Balmoral with my clan badge would this be appropriate in the normal setting and what instances have this been worn in such ways? Thank you in advance.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not, they are simply head-dress, not part of some uniform that requires other items to be worn at the same time.

3. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Why not, they are simply head-dress, not part of some uniform that requires other items to be worn at the same time.
    Exactly so. Remember, we are wearing civilian attire. The military and pipe bands have their own regulations and rules that don't apply to the civilian.................... Apart from the common courtesy, in some cases, of not wearing a hat indoors.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd May 23 at 06:07 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey neighbour I'm in Tustin!

Three weeks from now is our largest Highland Games, in Costa Mesa.

About hats yes Highland civilian hats are just hats.

Though in Victorian times Glengarries and Balmorals were equally popular in civilian Highland Dress, for the last century Glengarries have been viewed as having a military connotation. So nowadays, for many, seeing a civilian wearing a Balmoral looks like a person wearing a hat but seeing a civilian wearing a Glengarry looks a bit like a costume.

Civilian pipe bands much favoured Balmorals over Glengarries until the 1980s when Glengarries suddenly became standard. That's finally beginning to shift and a few daring bands are returning to Balmorals.

In any case around here it's usually too sunny and hot to wear either Scottish hat and not get sunburned. So at our local Highland Games nearly everybody, kilted or not, wears practical brimmed sun hats.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 7th May 23 at 06:38 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen, to the wide brimmed hats, OCR. I’ve got part of an ear missing thanks to bad sunburn when I was in Puerto Rico with the military.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember competing at pipes at the Charleston SC games in, I dunno, 1988? Wore my band glen the whole day. Took first place in grade III march, but also took home a nasty sunburn. The kind in which your ears get blisters as the rims of each ear turn to fluid-filled sacs. Not fun.

Wear real sun protection.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Silmakhor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's certainly no less appropriate than a baseball cap or cowboy hat, which are not uncommonly worn with trousers.

I tend to encourage hat-wearing generally.

Andrew

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silmakhor View Post
    Wore my band glen the whole day. Took first place in grade III march, but also took home a nasty sunburn.

Wear real sun protection.
    One would think that civilian Pipe Bands in sunny climes would be practical, as the army has often been.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    One would think that civilian Pipe Bands in sunny climes would be practical, as the army has often been.

As I recall, I was offered sunscreen several times but turned it down. To be young and foolish.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for OCR

I was pleased to find that picture of troops disembarking that train. Troops have on slouch hats. Do the kilts look like Gordon? Do you know if any other regiments wore those hats? I have a picture of my great uncle wearing one of those hats. He is also wearing a kilt apron so I can’t see his kilt. So far I have not been able to find out what regiment he was in. He died in 1901 during the Boer war, his brother died in 1915 WW1 don’t know what regiment he was in either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast