X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished knitting my first pair of kilt hose

For those not following my thread on learning to knit socks, I figured I'd post this here in the DIY Showroom. Last night I completed my first pair of hand-knit kilt hose.

They are plain self-coloured hose, with the cuffs being done in one vertical block of the traditional Gairloch pattern (which repeats three times around the circumference). This was my first go at this pattern, using it as a warm-up to doing an entire set of socks in the pattern.

I'm using Rowan felted tweed yarn, which is a fairly "hairy" aran-weight yarn. It has flecks of different colours in it, which along with the fuzzy appearance appeals to me for its rustic finished texture.

I planned out the cuffs by scaling the Gairloch pattern to suit my knitting gauge, circumference of my calves, and total desired height of the cuffs. I sketched out the pattern on my computer and used this as my guide whilst knitting. Surprisingly, the finished result actually looks like what I planned!

I didn't necessarily plan it this way, but these kilt hose happen to perfectly match the blues and greens in my Colquhoun kilt (woven in near-Wilson's colours). And the colour of the legs actually match the khaki top band of my kilt. Not only that, but these colours complement the mustardy-gold check stripes in my favourite kilt jacket as well (shown in the background). Win-win!

Aside from being my first set of kilt hose to knit, it was also my first attempt at a project using stranded colourwork. What is stranded colourwork? It just means using multiple colours of yarns simultaneously in the knitting to create a pattern, and the yarn that isn't at the forefront is carried along the backside as a "strand" or "float". Here's a picture of the cuffs turned inside-out, where you can see the floats. The pattern is basically a reverse of what's visible on the outside. Keeping the tension even on the floats takes a bit of attention, but I'm pretty happy with the uniformity and evenness of my floats.

2. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very impressive!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fine looking pair of hose! Well done!

Shane

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really good looking hose, great job.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work, fantastic looking hose - and I am a big fan of that Rowan Felted Tweed.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    Great work, fantastic looking hose - and I am a big fan of that Rowan Felted Tweed.
    I believe it was your mention of it (and photos) that convinced me to try it. I do love the finished look and feel of it, but it's not the easiest yarn to work with. For one, it sheds like crazy as I knit. I end up with bits of wool all over my chest and lap. It's also fairly inconsistent in thickness. Some portions of a skein will be thinner, some thicker, and it varies between skeins and colours. That made it a bit aggravating for doing the colourwork, trying to maintain colour dominance and even stitches when the two yarns I was working with were different thicknesses. But in the end, all of these things add to the rustic nature of it.

I haven't yet "blocked" these socks by washing them. I hear that Rowan felted tweed has a very noticeable "bloom" to the yarn which will puff it up and even everything out when it gets its first wash. I just hope it doesn't distort the Gairloch pattern work. I guess we'll see!

I have enough of this yarn left for making some other projects (though not enough for another pair of full kilt hose). I'm thinking a WWII style watch cap from the green/pine colour might be just the ticket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great!
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd wear them and be proud to!
    Tulach Ard

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So to be clear, you're using 5mm needles for most of this project? I have a set of 5mm circular needles, but most patterns I've been able to find call for a smaller size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! Those would work so well with my saffron kilt,

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Guiness gets my Irish up For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast