X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyhoo,

USA Kilts just released a "Nordic Heritage" tartan. It's a modern fashion tartan that (in my opinion) looks great. The interesting thing about it is the spacing of the white and yellow lines. In this particular arrangement, it appears that the sett size is quite large - Those two lines effectively double the sett size. If my visual math is correct?

I'm wondering how one would pleat this if pleating to the stripe.

https://www.usakilts.com/kilts-and-p...-heritage.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has anybody seen the Shrek Tartan?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shrek Tartan.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	42661 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shrek Costume with Tartan.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	42662
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVgTGPvWpU7cAv4KJ4cWRpQ

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Patty Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silmakhor View Post
    The interesting thing about it is the spacing of the white and yellow lines. In this particular arrangement, it appears that the sett size is quite large - Those two lines effectively double the sett size. If my visual math is correct?

I'm wondering how one would pleat this if pleating to the stripe.
    My first thought would be that it's not too different, in terms of sett logistics, as the Stewart Hunting tartan used in military kilts. It has alternating yellow and red stripes which make the sett huge. But in practical terms, for pleating in military kilts, it is (or was) pleated to each of these lines so that they alternate. The pleats are presented as red, yellow, red, yellow, and so on. I suppose you could do the same with the tartan you're looking at.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    My first thought would be that it's not too different, in terms of sett logistics, as the Stewart Hunting tartan used in military kilts. It has alternating yellow and red stripes which make the sett huge. But in practical terms, for pleating in military kilts, it is (or was) pleated to each of these lines so that they alternate. The pleats are presented as red, yellow, red, yellow, and so on. I suppose you could do the same with the tartan you're looking at.
    That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    It's not the alternating red and yellow stripes that make the sett big, it's the fact that it's asymmetric. A symmetrical setting with those stripes as pivots would be half the size.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two I can think of off-hand are:

• MacDuck Tartan (strictly speaking MacDuck #2) designed in the 1940s by Walt Disney (STA ref: 1121) Ancient MacDuck, old colours, as worn by Scrooge MacDuck, uncle to the famous cartoon character Donald Duck and Great Uncle to Huey, Duey and Luey. Said to have been used by the US Government during World War II to promote the sale of war bonds.

I first spotted this over 20 years ago and it has always tickled me that it exists.

• easyJet Tartan (officially Highland Aircraft) created by Geoffrey (Tailor) for the budget airline to promote the opening of their new route between Inverness and Gatwick in 2014.

I ID'ed this for someone on another forum - after they 'won' a kilt on eBay.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    It's not the alternating red and yellow stripes that make the sett big, it's the fact that it's asymmetric. A symmetrical setting with those stripes as pivots would be half the size.

Just checking my understanding here - the current "pivot" is the blue line surrounded by the dull red and black lines? And, the tartan is asymmetric because there isn't another clear pivot?

To put it another way, this tartan would be symmetric if both of the bright lines were white?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    • easyJet Tartan (officially Highland Aircraft) created by Geoffrey (Tailor) for the budget airline to promote the opening of their new route between Inverness and Gatwick in 2014.

[INDENT]
    oooooh i love that! you dont see much yellow tartans. well maybe Loud MacLeod is an exception...
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVgTGPvWpU7cAv4KJ4cWRpQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Irn Bru tartan deserves a mention.

Name:  irn-bru-tartan.jpeg
Views: 160
Size:  11.4 KB
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather spend time looking for the most attractive tartans I can find.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 12th May 23 at 03:53 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast