X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    They look cool! (Think the Dread Pirate Robert is Princess Bride...Wesley looks cool )
    One of my favourite movies of all time! I can't hear that name without hearing this in my head (in the voice of Andre the Giant, of course):

"I am the Dread Pirate Roberts. There will be no survivors. My men are here, and I am here, but soon you will not be here. ... All your worst nightmares are about to come true."

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post

...supposedly based on paintings from the latter half of the 1800s, including the Civil War...it has simple fabric ties to close the collar at the throat.
    It's the "supposedly" part I worry about. I'd like to see the paintings.

In these I don't see laces. https://witness2fashion.wordpress.co...s-1700s-1900s/

About ACW shirts, I've looked at many photos and some surviving garments and as best I remember they're all buttoned.

There's a YouTuber who is an expert on historical clothing who reviews the accuracy of Hollywood costuming and one of her pet peeves is Hollywood making everything tie with laces.

Here she's doing something a bit different, a tongue-in-cheek video of how to transform cheap Halloween costumes into historically accurate ones. She gets into laces at 3:35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAoaksK9mZM
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th May 23 at 07:18 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    It's the "supposedly" part I worry about. I'd like to see the paintings.
    Well, that's why I put the "supposedly" in my statement. Grain of salt and all.

I looked at the paintings they referenced in that pattern, and it does seem to be pretty accurate on all the details except the ties. (Note, I was referencing fabric ties at the top, not the leather laces you're talking about on pirate shirts.) From the paintings I see, the collars were either closed with a button or a tied kerchief, even though the chest area of the shirt remained open/gapped below the collar. Perhaps the sewn-in fabric ties were added to the Folkwear pattern just for convenience, to allow some sort of integral closure.

If nothing else, this stands as an example of how historical styles can be manipulated by modern costumers and passed off to the public as being authentic when they're not.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that I guess would seem odd to us is how on most of the 18th century shirts and many of the 19th century shirts there's just one button, at the collar.

It's that gap that was often hidden by a ruffle down either side of the opening in 18th century shirts.

At some point (late 19th century?) the jabot came in which was sort of trying to replicate that appearance, but ignoring both the construction and function of the original.

As I recall some ACW shirts had the small neck opening and single button, but most had a longer opening (around halfway down the chest) with buttons.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12