X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cancer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cancer

About four years ago I had a rare very aggressive form of bladder cancer. I was operated on at Johns Hopkins in DC. After the operation the DRs told me it would come back within two years. Well it was back in two months. After immunotherapy, radiation and chemo they said it was doing no good and not to continue treatment. So about six months later I went to a local oncologist he sent me for a CT scan. The results were negative. About six weeks ago I noticed some lumps in my neck from my collar bone up to my ear. I feared the worst. DR sent me for a whole body CT scan on Friday. Went to the DR today to get the results and yipeee!! They were negative. He told me he could not understand how I show no cancer. Told him it must be the good stuff I have been drinking. He’s Irish so he got a chuckle out of that. Couldn’t get him to write me a prescription for a fifth of Lagavulin with three refills though. Seriously though I’ve had lots of people praying for me, I guess the good Lord heard them. Then again as the old saying goes, only the good die young.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back to the land of the living, and hopefully the long-living. Special thanks to God, providence, doctors, or good luck, whichever you believe in. (I'll hang my hat with the first of those of course.)

So very pleased with your wonderful news!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    About four years ago I had a rare very aggressive form of bladder cancer. I was operated on at Johns Hopkins in DC. After the operation the DRs told me it would come back within two years. Well it was back in two months. After immunotherapy, radiation and chemo they said it was doing no good and not to continue treatment. So about six months later I went to a local oncologist he sent me for a CT scan. The results were negative. About six weeks ago I noticed some lumps in my neck from my collar bone up to my ear. I feared the worst. DR sent me for a whole body CT scan on Friday. Went to the DR today to get the results and yipeee!! They were negative. He told me he could not understand how I show no cancer. Told him it must be the good stuff I have been drinking. He’s Irish so he got a chuckle out of that. Couldn’t get him to write me a prescription for a fifth of Lagavulin with three refills though. Seriously though I’ve had lots of people praying for me, I guess the good Lord heard them. Then again as the old saying goes, only the good die young.
    Wonderful news! Thank you for letting us know!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonderful News!

Such great news! My father had bladder cancer due to a diabetes medication that he was taking, (there was a class action suit against the manufacturer.) They ultimately treated his cancer with TB bacteria, which seemed extremely strange but I am told it is in fact a very old treatment. It worked and he is now 93 years old. I offer this as just information. Enjoy the Lagavulin in GOOD HEALTH!

David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a blessing. Glad you are well even if the doctor wouldn't write that specific prescription.
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your best wishes. Prayers were answered. I kid a lot about drinking more than I actually drink. Because the price of Lagavulin is getting too expensive. So I get the next best Laphroaig. Or if I’m short of brass, most of the time, I get McClelland Isla. Thanks again.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on winning your battles.

I got lucky. I'm a 4 1/2 year survivor of Hodgkin's Lymphoma, myself. High survivability rate, excellent prognosis. So far, so good.
    John

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your victory so far.

As a kidney cancer survivor I feel you and understand your joy and your concerns.

Stoff

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Stoff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Stickman, glad to hear the good news! I've had good news so far myself. I can't fit into that old kilt again. I've gained that weight back.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news!

I'm a Hairy Cell Leukemia survivor for many years now. When told I was ready to go. Had a good run. Oncologist said they could cure it. I clarified, you mean put it in remission? He said no, we can cure it. And they did.

Didn't hurt to do my chemotherapy kilted...

Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

16. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast