X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antique Mid-18th C Dirk Measurements

This is for @stickman. He and I have been comparing notes on our respective illnesses these last months. He went above and beyond to send me a hand crafted sgian dubh as a Get Well gift. A few days ago he asked if I would send measurements of an antique dirk I own.

Original post here:
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ry-dirk-96769/

20230703_084658_017a.jpg
    20230703_084757a.jpg
    20230703_084926a.jpg
    20230703_084951 (2)a.jpg
    20230703_085001 (2)a.jpg
    20230703_085103 (2)a.jpg

I've had this dirk for many years, and only noticed when taking these photos that the haunch near the back of the blade is wider that that near the edge of the blade. The carved wooden studs in the handle definitely predat the later 18th C, but the brass covers of the the haunches are later than the first quarter to the mid-18th C. The scabbard is wood framed. The dirk itself weighs about 10.5 oz, and the scabbard a little over 3oz. So quite light. The dirk and scabbard meet at the chape, rather than the dirk sliding over the chape.

If anyone is interested in more details, please don't hesitate to ask.

My apologies to everyone who doesn't live in the States. You'll have to do conversions to metric. I looked for something longer than a ruler with English and Metric units to no avail.

@Crazy Dave: you mentioned in the previous post that you had a dirk with a somewhat similar blade. I'd be very interested in any photos you have. If you still have issues posting pictures, PM me and we'll
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dirk

Thanks for the reply. I will be starting on the handle tomorrow. I have been working on a forge so I can make the blade. I’m going to use D2 for the blade, made one out of it many years ago. But I am so slow nowadays it will take me way more time than it should.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dcampbell 16b

Well I have a handle carved, its a little different than yours but it looks good. Now all I have to do is ebonise it. When I get the blade done and finish the dirk, I’ll get the young guy across the street to send some pictures.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Dirk

Here is a pictures of my dirk:

6C0D8F7C-CF01-42B4-818B-2CC85956D073_1_201_a.jpg

Handle is all metal. There is no wood.
    Last edited by Crazy Dave; 21st July 23 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Add more comment

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the blade have a fuller running down the spine?
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really good looking dirk, did you make it? How was the handle formed, was it cast? How heavy is it? I have made a bunch of dirks and sgian duhb over the years. Gave most of them to fellow pipers in the bands I was in. I’m just so slow nowadays it takes me forever to get things done.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCampbell16B View Post
    Does the blade have a fuller running down the spine?
    If you expand the picture you can see two fullers running down to the gard. It appears to me that this dirk was actually made from a much larger sword. I think it is pretty old, but I'm not an expert.

Dave

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    Really good looking dirk, did you make it? How was the handle formed, was it cast? How heavy is it? I have made a bunch of dirks and sgian duhb over the years. Gave most of them to fellow pipers in the bands I was in. I’m just so slow nowadays it takes me forever to get things done.
    I'm not sure how it came into my possession. I had thought a friend of mine had given it to me, but when I asked him, he had no recollection of it. I think I got it in the 80's. That was a strange time! The handle is hollow, but is pretty sturdy. It appears to be hammered out of a fairly thick gage steel. The detail is very good but is not totally even. It looks like someone very skilled made it. It is pretty heave. The blade is very thick and it has a full tang. I would love to have a sgian duhb to match it, but this would need way more skill than I have. I will probably make a leather scabbard. it takes me forever to get things done, too!

Dave

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not carve a matching handle? Looks like it would be an easy carving job and add some little brass tacks to match the dirk pattern.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matching handle

I think that would be alot easier than trying to do it in metal. That is a good suggestion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast