X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wcsgorilla View Post
    I tried something like you were saying about a thinner sgian dubh and came up with this. It’s all matched black walnut. The graining continues from the top of the handle to the tip of the sheath. The handle is just over 7/16” at the guard and just under 3/8” at the crown. Much different from other ones I’ve made.

Kinda surprised at how light it is considering it is all walnut. And bro, let me tell ya, black walnut is a pain to work with..
    That's very nice! I'll be curious to hear your impressions once you've had a chance to wear it in your hose top vs. the others. While they're all beauties, I think you may find this latest addition to your collection even more comfortable to wear. Imagine how much lighter it would be with just a leather sheath!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you are wearing dust masks. Many species of wood are very harmful, including walnut, to the lungs. I have never been able to work with gloves on and I was turning a tropical hardwood my hands broke out in a rash. Took weeks to clear up. Cocabola is a very bad wood for me breaks me out in something like poison ivy. I don’t use it much anymore.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123