X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Vest size?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vest size?

Hi there Serial Kilter’s.

I bought a tweed jacket and vest years ago. The jacket still fits but the vest doesn’t. I’m I safe to assume that the vest will be the the same size as the jacket?
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Logan View Post
    Hi there Serial Kilter’s.

I bought a tweed jacket and vest years ago. The jacket still fits but the vest doesn’t. I’m I safe to assume that the vest will be the the same size as the jacket?
    It will be the same nominal size as the jacket, but vests are cut to fit the body more closely than a jacket. Thus, a small change in body size of shape tends to affect the vest more than the jacket.

Most vests have a belt and buckle at the back that can be used to adjust the closeness of the fit.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imrichmond For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the waistcoat is still too tight when the back strap is let all the way out, it's a fairly simple tailoring/sewing job to have a new satin back made.

Unless the satin is black, you might not be able to find an exact colour-match with the original satin. Personally having the waistcoat satin back slightly different from the jacket lining isn't a big worry.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a request to enlarge a waistcoat of great sentimental value, made by mother for his wedding. So as to preserve it as much as possible I unpicked the under arm seam and put a neutral coloured tape on the inside then covered it with satin ribbon which was slightly darker than the back. I think that with the seam allowance the ribbon only had to be 3/4 inches wide to gain three inches in circumference.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post: