X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to add to the hideousness, but I just came across the lower-right sporran on Ebay today, the very Poster Child of the Kilt Hire movement. (Pipe Bands ain't in it, because the pipers I've known over the years wouldn't be caught dead in such a thing, and I don't think any serious competition band would wear it.)

But it's even more clear that the makers just grabbed whatever bits they had to hand and stuck them on whatever sporran bodies they were already making.

The original style (top left) was called JMP by WE Scott and L&M (Canada) but I have no idea what those letters meant.

Grab the ball & chain tassels off an Evening sporran, and the big thistle badge off the basic horsehair sporran, and Bob's your Uncle.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relative to the curran/brogue discussion, here is a quite old shoe with holes.

https://postimg.cc/v1K5486W
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's amazing!

There's a Roman fort in Britain (Vindolanda? Housesteads?) where they found piles of Roman shoes in a good state of preservation.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along with lots of shoes other things were found in the anoxic soil. At about six meters deep. Even boxing gloves. Ink tablets, wooden combs and other things that were preserved. Even the remains of a child who died about 1800 years ago. Vindolanda is a real view of the past. It was abandoned about 400AD.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123