X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpaca Fibre

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alpaca Fibre

Listening to the radio this morning. They were talking about Alpaca fibre. (They don't call it 'wool' apparently.) The comment was that it will do everything that wool does, keeps warm in winter, cool in summer, retains warmth when wet, etc. and isn't itchy like wool can be.

So . . . has anyone ever heard of tartan being woven from Alpaca fibre? I wonder what it would be like as a kilt fabric.

I don't need another kilt, just wondering how it might work woven into a twill and whether anyone has experienced anything in this line.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fr. Bill

Hope all is well with you and your family. I asked this same question in about 2020 and received a very detailed response from Steve Ashton as to why that would not be cost effective, here's the link : http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...archid=4816666
    Funny thing about this was after this was discussed the same question began to pop up all over!

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kilted redleg For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backpackers say it is more durable than the merino undergarments that have been a popular alternative to polypro and fleece. It is also fire retardant like wool and absorbs less water than wool, is also lighter because camelid fibers are hollow.

As a knitter, I always considered it to be a novelty yarn, and didn't bother with it. The sheep's wool industry has it hard enough without competition from new "and improved!" stuff. (I have a LOT to say on knitting yarn, but am on a time crunch for this morning, and probably no one is particularly interested in THAT rant.)

Alpaca would make for a lighter weight kilt, but the fiber is lusterous ....might look weird. It is going to swish differently, and would the current tartan makers from scourers, to spinners, to dyers, to weavers have the right specialized equipment to handle a different fiber (finer, slicker, and much less springy/strechy)? ALL the equipment and chemistry for processing would have to be tweaked.

That said, after conversing about the advantages of alpaca on a bushcraft site recently, I went onto ebay, and bought a few inexpensive second hand sweaters to try out this fiber. I ordered one peruvian alpaca sweater with lamas across the chest, and tought, That would look nice with my new kilt!

...hey, they're both Highland W.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Distaff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted redleg View Post
    Fr. Bill

Hope all is well with you and your family. I asked this same question in about 2020 and received a very detailed response from Steve Ashton as to why that would not be cost effective, here's the link : http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...archid=4816666
    Funny thing about this was after this was discussed the same question began to pop up all over!
    The link isn't doing it for me, but thanks!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fr. Bill

I get the following error message:
    “ Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.”
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Distaff View Post
    As a knitter, I always considered it to be a novelty yarn, and didn't bother with it. The sheep's wool industry has it hard enough without competition from new "and improved!" stuff. (I have a LOT to say on knitting yarn, but am on a time crunch for this morning, and probably no one is particularly interested in THAT rant.)
    Actually, I'd be interested in your thoughts on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link did not work.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked this same question in about 2020 and received a very detailed response from Steve Ashton as to why that would not be cost effective, here's the link : http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...archid=4816666

Using the advanced search screen and the search term 'alpaca', I found this thread titles 'is wool wool', started by kilted redleg:
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ol-wool-96716/

Hope that helps.
    John

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John and Steve.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast