X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you identify this Scottish regimental uniform

Hello,

I am hoping that there are folks in this group that can help with identifying which regiment this uniform belongs to.

Pictured is James Ritchie from Dundee, born 1878. We know he served in Calcutta, India, as he was married there in 1923, and two of his children were born there in 1923 and 1925. I've been trying to research his military career, but there are many James Ritchies... It would help to know which regiment he belonged to. Could it be the Gordon Highlanders? The jacket isn't quite right from photos I have seen online.

As he looks quite young in this photo, I will suggest this is from the late 1890s... but that is a guess.

Thank you for reading, and for any ideas!

[IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bearing in mind that this is a painting and so there may be some artistic licence, the sporran and collar dogs confirm this to be a Gordon Highlanders' uniform.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may also be able to help pin him down by the medals/campaign ribbons he's wearing. I'm no expert, but you can look here for some help:
    https://www.identifymedals.com/medal...itain-pre-ww1/

It looks to me like he's wearing the King's South Africa medal (though with the orange/white/green ribbon colours displayed backwards), which would indicate he was involved in the Second Boer War in 1902. That would make the painting at least from the early 1900s or later. But that's assuming I've identified the medal properly, which I don't guarantee.

I can't tell what the other one is. But it has several bars on it which would indicate he was involved in that campaign for a while. Perhaps a slight artist's misrepresentation of the Queen's South Africa medal? That might make sense, as it was from the Boer War 1899-1902, assuming he was there the whole time in his early twenties.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    You may also be able to help pin him down by the medals/campaign ribbons he's wearing. I'm no expert, but you can look here for some help:
    https://www.identifymedals.com/medal...itain-pre-ww1/

It looks to me like he's wearing the King's South Africa medal (though with the orange/white/green ribbon colours displayed backwards), which would indicate he was involved in the Second Boer War in 1902. That would make the painting at least from the early 1900s or later. But that's assuming I've identified the medal properly, which I don't guarantee.

I can't tell what the other one is. But it has several bars on it which would indicate he was involved in that campaign for a while. Perhaps a slight artist's misrepresentation of the Queen's South Africa medal? That might make sense, as it was from the Boer War 1899-1902, assuming he was there the whole time in his early twenties.
    I think you are right on both counts.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps further information could come from the chevrons on his sleeves. Again, I'm no expert, but the internet says that the single chevron on his right upper arm denotes him as lance corporal. The double chevron on his lower left sleeve seem to have been awarded for years of service with good conduct. I'm unclear how many years would be denoted by two chevrons, but it would at least point to him having served for a while when this was painted (which of course would make sense with his campaign insignia).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Perhaps further information could come from the chevrons on his sleeves. Again, I'm no expert, but the internet says that the single chevron on his right upper arm denotes him as lance corporal. The double chevron on his lower left sleeve seem to have been awarded for years of service with good conduct. I'm unclear how many years would be denoted by two chevrons, but it would at least point to him having served for a while when this was painted (which of course would make sense with his campaign insignia).

"The "Good Conduct Chevron" or also "Good Conduct Stripe" could be awarded to military with the rank of Private, Lance Corporal, Lance Bombardier, Acting Corporal. As soon as the person was promoted to Corporal, the Chevrons had to be removed.

They existed in form equal to that of the rank insignia of the NCO, reversed worn on the lower part of the left sleeve. After two years the first Chevron could be obtained, after 6 year the second, twelve year the third, eighteen year the fourth, 23 year the fifth and 28 year the sixth Chevron. Six Chevrons was the maximum that were permitted to be worn."

Copied from: https://www.tracesofwar.com/awards/2...ct-Chevron.htm

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post: