X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another pair of Gairloch pattern kilt hose

Just finished this pair over the weekend. I went with a heavier yarn this time (worsted weight), which knits up faster because it requires less stitches to get the same size. I had to do some scaling to the pattern, which seems to have worked out OK. And I went with a better contrasting set of yarn colours this time.

Also, for expedience, I made the foot a solid colour instead of carrying the pattern down to the toe as I did before. This pair only took 3 weeks from start to finish.

(Note: the back view shows how the pattern has to go wonky for a bit in order to decrease the leg from calf to ankle. It drops off one set of "X" crossings, and ends up with a "V" in the transition zone. This is by design, as the original Gairloch pattern is intended to do.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toby:

Those are awesome. If only they were tartan red and green and in my size...

Always enjoy seeing your work!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    Those are awesome. If only they were tartan red and green and in my size...
    Thanks. While I definitely like this pair better than the first (due to choosing colours which are more distinct from one another), I am already looking ahead to what I'll choose differently on the next pair. Red and green is what I had in mind too, since it would complement my tartan well. And I think I'm going back to using smaller (fingering/sock weight) yarn. Although it takes longer, I think it works better to have smaller visible stitches - especially in the blended/marled fields. The overall effect is a crisper aesthetic to the pattern.

Here's an example of someone else's project (username riverspun, for proper credit) that was posted on Ravelry. I do like the overall look of it, but I don't think I'll do the blue embroidered (duplicate stitch) highlights. This colour combination would play well with Colquhoun ... and would look mighty fine with Maxwell too. At some point in the future, I may be convinced to knit for others, but it could be a while!

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    o. At some point in the future, I may be convinced to knit for others, but it could be a while!

Let me know when you take that leap... I'd love a pair of your hose!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing hose!

They are coming out really nice! Keep at it!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kitfoxdave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Thanks. While I definitely like this pair better than the first (due to choosing colours which are more distinct from one another), I am already looking ahead to what I'll choose differently on the next pair. Red and green is what I had in mind too, since it would complement my tartan well. And I think I'm going back to using smaller (fingering/sock weight) yarn. Although it takes longer, I think it works better to have smaller visible stitches - especially in the blended/marled fields. The overall effect is a crisper aesthetic to the pattern.

Here's an example of someone else's project (username riverspun, for proper credit) that was posted on Ravelry. I do like the overall look of it, but I don't think I'll do the blue embroidered (duplicate stitch) highlights. This colour combination would play well with Colquhoun ... and would look mighty fine with Maxwell too. At some point in the future, I may be convinced to knit for others, but it could be a while!

Good looking hose, but I think you are right to leave out the blue. I don’t know if it’s my eyes, but I seem to focus on the blue first. Then I have to blink a little to see the rest of the hose. Your hose look really good, keep it up lad you are doing great.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another very fine job, my friend!

Verity

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Verity For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have inspired me to dig out my needles, and get going on a pair!

I haven't knitted in so long, I'll have to look everything up again (like the stretchy cast-on, and turning the heel.... I'll just cross that bridge when I get to it. Kitchner toe will be doable as long as I can find my favorite YouTube tutorial).

Will post again when there is some progress to show.
    Last edited by Distaff; 28th August 23 at 06:43 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Distaff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Distaff View Post

I haven't knitted in so long, I'll have to look everything up again (like the stretchy cast-on, and turning the heel.... I'll just cross that bridge when I get to it. Kitchner toe will be doable as long as I can find my favorite YouTube tutorial).

Yes please, Distaff, we can't afford to lose any more of our traditional knowledge. It doesn't matter if the result is not perfect, just keep it alive.

There are a couple of good books out there with suitable patterns. There is some discussion of that in this thread: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ks-hose-98333/

Verity

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Verity For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Distaff View Post

Wonderful! I'd love to see more people get involved (or reinvigorated) in knitting, especially for traditional patterns. Like Verity said, it needs to be kept alive.

What got me into knitting was the desire to make kilt hose for myself that I couldn't find on the commercial market. Having a custom pair commissioned is very expensive, with long wait times. Being an engineer and long-time DIY'er, I figured it couldn't be that hard if so many people do it. And it isn't! There's just a learning curve to get through, and then lots of time spent knitting and purling to refine the movements (just like playing a musical instrument or anything else). Obviously, I'm no expert at it, but it's very satisfying to be able to make my own socks, hats, and other items to my own custom specifications. Plus hand-knit items have their own character.

And to be honest, I've gotten to the point where I can't just sit down on the sofa and idly relax, or watch television, or play on my phone. I get antsy and want to pick up my needles. I believe I've found the zen of knitting, and it provides me both mental and physical relaxation. So if I'm sittin', I'm knittin'. And always planning my next project. I have a few more in mind to recreate historical patterns or examples, but I'll post about those later.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast