X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kilt making offcuts

Good afternoon all

I have offcuts from a kilt which are available for purchase.

They include Cameron of Erracht offcuts (some small, some large) and an Azure blue tweed.

Would ask for £5 for each set, or £7.50 for both, plus P&P.

Pictures can be taken but they're stored in my scraps box right now and I am in the middle of decorating and decluttering. I don't want to just throw them away.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingnephilim View Post
    Good afternoon all.
    I have offcuts from a kilt which are available for purchase.
    What is a offcuts?
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVgTGPvWpU7cAv4KJ4cWRpQ

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Logan View Post
    What is a offcuts?
    Or more correctly:What are offcuts?

Imagine a kilt maker takes a length of tartan to make a kilt? Say, for example, 9 yards. The remaining bits of cloth, from that 9 yards, after the kilt construction is finished, are known as “offcuts”.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 19th September 23 at 02:15 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

Imagine a kilt maker takes a length of tartan to make a kilt? Say, for example, 9 yards. The remaining bits of cloth, from that 9 yards, after the kilt construction is finished, are known as “offcuts”.
    The seller would need to clarify in this case, but the term may also include those portions of the pleats that are cut out around the waist (above the fell line) to reduce bulk. It's common for kiltmakers to end up with a large stockpile of small tartan scraps/offcuts that are still useful for some kind of small patchwork project, and they end up giving them away or selling them.

I was going to post a photo example, but apparently that's a "403 forbidden" kind of mistake on this forum...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if the advertiser clearly mentions "OFFCUTS" then it does clearly imply rather more than on piece.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th September 23 at 12:46 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    but apparently that's a "403 forbidden" kind of mistake on this forum...
    It's not. There's either an issue with the image you're trying to upload (image size?) or an issue with the forum software. I experienced the same thing yesterday. You can use a third-party image hosting provider like IMGUR to link to an image here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
    It's not. There's either an issue with the image you're trying to upload (image size?) or an issue with the forum software. I experienced the same thing yesterday. You can use a third-party image hosting provider like IMGUR to link to an image here.
    Steve explained elsewhere, and if I understood it correctly there is an occasional conflict between the software we have continued to use, and the software that the host is using. What I can't do one way, I can usually do another.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Steve explained elsewhere, and if I understood it correctly there is an occasional conflict between the software we have continued to use, and the software that the host is using. What I can't do one way, I can usually do another.
    Yeah, apparently I can't post a photo in a reply. But I can reply, and then edit the post to add the photo. Bizarre.

Anyway, here's a pile of kilt offcuts that I mentioned earlier. Unless the seller could be more descriptive with the sizes of the scraps, it's likely going to be something like this. (Each different tartan roll being from a different kilt, of course.)

Last edited by Tobus; 20th September 23 at 11:54 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the existence of offcuts is to blame for the rise in popularity of woven fabric tartan flashes.

Many kiltmakers either send a pair of matching flashes along with their kilts as a matter of course, or offer them for a minimal price.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

Jock is correct - sometimes there is a little bit of excess that is trimmed off the edge. The other offcut can come from making a kilt out of double width cloth. This leaves a long, thin strip that may be used for something.