X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can I 'fix' this ex-hire argyll?

About a year or so ago I found an ex-hire kilt jacket from MacGregor and MacDuff on eBay. Not surprisingly it is very worn. I was wondering if there was a way for me to 'revitalize' the barathea or do I have to just live with it as is? Ignore the ubiquitous dog hair.

Last edited by kilted2000; 7th September 23 at 07:32 AM.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure that you'll get some good ideas here, but if you do not, or if they do not bring it up to your hopes, I'd counsel you to relax and enjoy the fact that it doesn't look "too new".

Scots being a frugal and sensible culture, may look down on things that are too fresh as a waste of money and an attempt to be 'uppity' showing off how well you are doing to be able to afford the newest and best.

A worn jacket has a certain respectability and prestige, looking like the real thing rather than an unseemly display of wealth.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I'm sure that you'll get some good ideas here, but if you do not, or if they do not bring it up to your hopes, I'd counsel you to relax and enjoy the fact that it doesn't look "too new".

Scots being a frugal and sensible culture, may look down on things that are too fresh as a waste of money and an attempt to be 'uppity' showing off how well you are doing to be able to afford the newest and best.

A worn jacket has a certain respectability and prestige, looking like the real thing rather than an unseemly display of wealth.
    I quite agree. In my experience as a rather ancient Scot , new clothing, products and accessories are traditionally regarded as, almost rather embarrassing "bad form" and some take considerable efforts to age new purchases before being seen in public.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 7th September 23 at 08:45 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes to all the advice above.

In your photos I can't see any problem. (I'm guessing the wear is difficult to photograph.)

The tweed kilt jacket I usually wear has a bit of mothing in a couple places. It doesn't worry me. I don't think anyone could notice it when I'm wearing the jacket.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many years ago my winter coat was sent to be dry cleaned and treated to restore its appearance.

It came back looking like new, with the pockets repaired and reinforced, the hem and sleeve cuffs taped and sewn to lengthen them, the shoulders pressed into shape and a new chain hanger sewn onto a strip of interlining.

It was obviously a fairly skilled bit of tailoring work, but you might be able to find an old established firm to do a similar job, with luck.

Anne the Pleater.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.