X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylahullu View Post
    I have been travelling in some places wearing a kilt. Mostly USAkilts casual, sometimes Scottish Wildcat tartan box pleated. These are my lightest ones and I do not like to travel with too heavy luggage. Especially the casual is perfect.

Countries travelled kilted: Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, France, Slovenia, Jersey, England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Greece, Jordania, Cuba, Portugal...

No problems anywhere. Perhaps not going again to Poland or Lithuania. Nothing special, just a feeling that a kilt is not welcome there.

In Jordania I first hesitated a bit, but an archaeologist with our group, who had been years there, advised that it is an old British colony and they know what the kilt is. He was right. No problems. I would not wear shorts there but the kilt was perfect in that weather.

In Wales, I got new friends immediately when they learned my tartan was Glyndwr. "Owen, he is our hero..."
    I think somewhere here is a picture of me wearing Glyndwr tartan in front of a pub named Owen Glyndwr.
    I have that pattern kilt. I love the pattern. It's nicely "understated" (don't like "loud" tartans, myself.) Anyway, I also sing in a Welsh choir . We'll be going to Wales next year to sing but I'm afraid to admit to my Welsh compatriots that I am also a kilt wearer. Traditionally, they don't do that.

1/4 Welsh ... 3/4 Scottish
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only positive comments.

Having been hiking on the Portuguese Atlantic island of Madeira for a month in February as well as the Portuguese and Spanish mainlands, I have only had positive comments! Admittedly casually dresses in a jumper and not shirt and jacket, but wear it with confidence and I believe you will be welcomed anywhere in certainly Europe.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AndrewJohn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone tell me how safe the UK, specifically the south east is?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurKiltsmen View Post
    In my youth I once went to Gillingham, Kent, to a party kilted and survived, if that is any help?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th March 24 at 06:58 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurKiltsmen View Post
    I live in Lancashire, but I go all over in a kilt. I've lived here for 15 years and no issues yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never had problem wearing a kilt out and about in England, Wales, Ireland, Spain, Switzerland, France, Netherlands, Germany, Canada, USA and etc.. Never any problems and lots of favourable comments.
    I no longer wear the kilt for air travel though, as it complicates matters having to remove sporran and belt and has aroused suspicion at security. Last time I left Germany I was subjected to a very thorough and aggressive pat down by a security officer who ran his hands up inside my kilt and along my underwear. I was then called back for a second pat down and when I protested I was told I needed to co-operate or I would not be allowed to travel. Thankfully the second pat down was done by a different guy who didn't go inside my kilt.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4767.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	43401

Not my picture but here is an English rugby fan supporting Bath FC. Also the only utility kilt I've seen in the wild was in London. People kilt outwith Scotland all the time.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4767.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	43401

......................... People kilt outwith Scotland all the time.
    Indeed they do. Sadly to my admittedly old school thinking on this unfortunate state of affaires it is having trouble adjusting. At my age I am not likely to change my thinking on this any time soon, however, I have to reluctantly accept that things are changing as things do but not, I feel, necessarily for the better.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some 30 years or more ago, I was waiting to go through airport security (as it was in those days) behind a group of about half-a-dozen or so lads all a-kilted.

The airport, the flight, and the appearance of the group made me think they were soldiers returning from leave and going back to their European base.

It was with great amusement that we fellow passengers, and others in this group, watched as they were each frisked and searched.

They each took it in turns to stand with arms out sideways and legs slightly apart as searching hands went up the kilt (that's right, up the inside) in the hope of finding what they were looking for.

As you can well-imagine, there was plenty of banter and ribbing from the group - along the lines of 'Nothing up there, mate - as all the girls keep telling us..!' and 'Don't forget to feel in the crack..!'

The security bods all took it in good humour, but I can't imagine that happening today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inasmuch as clothing can be conservative or not, I tend to think of the kilt as fairly conservative. Now maybe I am reading too much into the original post, but since the barista said the problem was with Jamaica being a conservative country and not appreciating the kilt, I am thinking that the barista mistakenly thought of wearing the kilt as cross-dressing in a skirt. I would think that as part of the commonwealth, even if rare, the kilt would not be unknown there. Jamaica is one of the few places I have ever seen Arthur's Day celebrated, so there is at least some knowledge of modern Celtic culture.
    Last edited by AFS1970; 10th April 24 at 11:38 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast