X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling Abroad Kilted.

So I have worn kilts on a number of trips outside the USA. Jamaica mainly to some all inclusive resorts. While there I have had many of the staff comment on the kilt (positively) and never thought anything of it till one barista, while commenting on it, stated that I would only be safe wearing that within the resort which is protected from what is a very conservative people outside the gates. He stated that I " would get beat wearing such on the streets anywhere on the island". This has made me question from everyones experience where are we safe to wear the kilt internationally. I have traveled Europe but, never had the nerve to wear them there.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I don’t normally wear the civilian kilt outwith Scotland and there are places in Scotland where I would not wear the kilt either! Although I have worn the kilt in France to a family wedding at the special request of the bride without any problems. Others happily wear the kilt abroad without a thought. Like many things in life, discretion is a very wise word when one travels and making assumptions is not always wise.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 12th October 23 at 04:24 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect the issue in the original post may be that part of Jamaica, rather than being abroad in general. My sister lived there for a while and there are many places that are not safe for tourists.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've travelled to the UK several times and I've never packed Highland Dress.

Firstly, it takes up too much precious suitcase space.

Secondly, unless I was planning to attend a UK Highland Games, and wanted to dress up for the occasion, there would be no reason to.

The sole exception was when I travelled to Scotland with a Pipe Band which was competing at three Highland Games and also performing in Glasgow. Obviously I had to pack the band uniform and my pipes. I will point out that nobody in the band wore their kilts at any time except when performing with the band- it's simply "not done" in piping circles.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just back from a week in Barcelona and wore my kilt most of the time. No one cared less, one or two nice comments or questions. The same sort of reaction you get in London. Quite hot on the mountain at Monserrat though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Carrick View Post
    Just back from a week in Barcelona and wore my kilt most of the time. No one cared less, one or two nice comments or questions. The same sort of reaction you get in London. Quite hot on the mountain at Monserrat though.
    Yes Ive worn my kilt in quite a few countries in europe and also in most parts of Canada with no problems but a lot of comments and questions. I also wear a kilt almost daily now without any adverse remarks and although I cant wear a kilt all the time depending on what Im doing its generally well accepted. One odd thing I found was that as I live near to 3 schools I expected that at certain times I'd get a few cheeky remarks but the younger pupils and the secondary school pupils in particular are very polite and seem to like seeing the kilt as normal day dress. The thing is that dreess in general is very diverse now aos noone really cares what we wear. I still get some who say they like my 'skirt' but they arent trying to be funny so it doesnt bother me a lot..

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Ayrkiltie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just four days after this thread was started I wore my USA Kilts American Heritage kilt into Canada. We spent the day on Campobello Island exploring - even had "tea" in Eleanor's Tea Room and toured the Roosevelt's summer home. I had two comments about the kilt and both were complimentary.

That was part of an extended road trip my wife and I did this Fall. We were on the road for 31 days out of a six week period and drove 8,347 miles by car and rode another 100+ in a small airplane. I wore a kilt almost exclusively - only wearing shorts for a portion of two days (one was the plane ride). Never heard a negative comment but did have several positive comments.

If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Couper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was kilted for a week in the Cancun, Mexico area. Never a negative comment. In the smaller towns the vendors would repeatedly call out to me, "Hey, William Wallace!" I guess they liked the movie.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been travelling in some places wearing a kilt. Mostly USAkilts casual, sometimes Scottish Wildcat tartan box pleated. These are my lightest ones and I do not like to travel with too heavy luggage. Especially the casual is perfect.

Countries travelled kilted: Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, France, Slovenia, Jersey, England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Greece, Jordania, Cuba, Portugal...

No problems anywhere. Perhaps not going again to Poland or Lithuania. Nothing special, just a feeling that a kilt is not welcome there.

In Jordania I first hesitated a bit, but an archaeologist with our group, who had been years there, advised that it is an old British colony and they know what the kilt is. He was right. No problems. I would not wear shorts there but the kilt was perfect in that weather.

In Wales, I got new friends immediately when they learned my tartan was Glyndwr. "Owen, he is our hero..."
    I think somewhere here is a picture of me wearing Glyndwr tartan in front of a pub named Owen Glyndwr.
    If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done.
    ---
    Ludwig Wittgenstein (26 April 1889 – 29 April 1951)

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kylahullu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I typically wear my kilt to rugby - so certainly worn it in England, France, Italy, New Zealand and South Africa. - and also (when requested to weddings and events in England and Czechia). Nothing but positive comments.

As I now live abroad, I wear my kilt periodically in Estonia - for St Andrews Day, Burns Night and for our farmer's markets (where we sell some Scottish produce) some school talks and events or for marketing events for the tour company I freelance for (admittedly for the last two it is more of a gimmick to attract the punters but it does help break the ice). It's always well received.
    Last edited by Tomo; 28th October 23 at 12:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast