X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Incoming from Boston

Hi hi, I'm Cyrus (They/Them). Feel free to call me by my internet nickname "Clowny" I'm an Illustration major from Boston. I just got into kilts this month since I'm going through another one of my "this is my culture" phases again. The whole "trying to get in touch with my roots" thing isn't new for me at all, I've been doing it through music since I was very little. However, I do see wearing kilts now as reclaiming what was taken from my family via assimilating into American culture over the years. I would still say my overall knowledge of Scotland is very surface-level; I hope to change that by using a character I'm currently writing will let me fixate on Scottish history and culture since I was able to do the same with other locations before. So far I'm just really into the punk music from Glasgow (Absolutely adore the Scars despite them only having the live show and demos recorded back in the 70s).

But yhea kilts. Going in hand with the punk rock aesthetic, I grabbed a cheapy plain red one earlier this month, loved how sick I looked with it paired with my pleather jacket, and now I just received my first real one in the mail today; stumbled across this site because I did not know it would have basting stitches and needed to triple check that they were basting stitches because I be dumb like that sometimes. The new one is a Buchanan Ancheint Tartan from the Highland Kilt Company. I picked it cuz the colors were pretty, I'd love to find out what tartan my family's clan had, working on getting the correct spelling of our name because I don't think my dad pronounced it right when he was telling me it since nothing is popping up when I google the name. But like shout out to my cousin for tracing our family history for his college thesis so I know it's legit.

But yhea there's my little hello ramble.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Clubbingclown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Failte from the Home of the Blues!
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, from Inverness-shire.

Alright then, let’s try to sort out the Clan name that you are talking about for a start. How are you pronouncing it phonetically and spelling it? Perhaps start another thread in “General Kilt Talk”?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th October 23 at 03:10 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum from Calgary!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Welcome, from Inverness-shire.

Alright then, let’s try to sort out the Clan name that you are talking about for a start. How are you pronouncing it phonetically and spelling it? Perhaps start another thread in “General Kilt Talk”?
    Our last name is McCrillis which I'm told used to be Macrillis, McCrillis pops up but nothing with the Mac "correction" does. And then I've been trying to spell whatever he said phonetically; it sounded like Mac-cray-lish, though I also tried Mac-gaye-lish since it almost sounded like a G in the middle there. We are related to the McCrillis that pops up and has the crest and all that but my dad is insistent that we must've merged in or something. I know they were a lowlands clan so hopefully that helps. I've emailed my cousin so hopefully he gets back to me soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

howdy

and welcome to a great group

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from an exiled Scot living in England. Good luck with your investigations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubbingclown View Post
    Our last name is McCrillis which I'm told used to be Macrillis, McCrillis pops up but nothing with the Mac "correction" does. And then I've been trying to spell whatever he said phonetically; it sounded like Mac-cray-lish, though I also tried Mac-gaye-lish since it almost sounded like a G in the middle there. We are related to the McCrillis that pops up and has the crest and all that but my dad is insistent that we must've merged in or something. I know they were a lowlands clan so hopefully that helps. I've emailed my cousin so hopefully he gets back to me soon.
    Neither McCrillis nor Macrillis/MacCrillis show up in the book The Surnames of Scotland by George Fraser Black.

This site https://en.geneanet.org/surnames/MCCRILLIS has the following entry for McCrillis:

McCrillis : Irish: Anglicized form of Gaelic Mag Riallghuis a variant of Mag Niallghuis. See McNelis.

McNelis
    : Irish: Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Niallghuis ‘son of Niallghus’ a personal name (intended as complimentary) composed of the personal name Niall (see O'Neill) + gus ‘vigor’. In Irish the combination of [k] and [n] was generally pronounced [kr] Anglicized as the variants McCreless and McCrillis.
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 29th October 23 at 02:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    Neither McCrillis nor Macrillis/MacCrillis show up in the book The Surnames of Scotland by George Fraser Black.

This site https://en.geneanet.org/surnames/MCCRILLIS has the following entry for McCrillis:

McCrillis : Irish: Anglicized form of Gaelic Mag Riallghuis a variant of Mag Niallghuis. See McNelis.

McNelis
    : Irish: Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Niallghuis ‘son of Niallghus’ a personal name (intended as complimentary) composed of the personal name Niall (see O'Neill) + gus ‘vigor’. In Irish the combination of [k] and [n] was generally pronounced [kr] Anglicized as the variants McCreless and McCrillis.
    OH OK yhea that makes a lot of sense cuz we're mixed yhea. Ok so I just gotta follow the tree back to when the Scottish side met the Irish side

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast