X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, some basic kiltmaking.

A fabric yard that kilt fabric is measured at is 60 inches wide and one yard or 36 inches long.
    When making a kilt we cut the fabric in half lengthwise and join the two halves.

So, a kilt length is just the length of the piece used to make the kilt. If that length were 30 inches wide - 2 kilt yards would equal 1 fabric yard.

But kilts are almost never 30 inches in length from Selvedge up to the top of the top band. So we have to calculate how much fabric is in a kilt in square inches and compare that the the square inches in a fabric yard.

60X36=2160

Your kilt is 208X24=4992

4992/2160=2.31 fabric yards

If your kilt actually weighs 1.8 pounds then it is probably made from a 10 oz synthetic fabric
    1.8/2.31=10.38
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making a general post thanking everyone for being so helpful with the suggestions!
    I've ditched the cheap ones from my first post and am now waiting on a pre-owned one made by the "English Shop West Hartford". I have never seen the brand before and It doesn't seem to exist anymore but 100% wool for $20 why not see how legit it is?
    I also have a sporran now but the chain is way too long so I'm gonna have to make that this weekend's little DIY project. But also expect to see me in the pit (eBay bidding wars) for more of them haha

Will edit this post later when I can get to my computer since it won't let me link the picture from my phone but I'll send the tags on the new kilt to see if anyone can ID the company.Edit 2: Idk whats going on it wont let me don't he computer either so here's a direct image link to the company logo on the kilt https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...68fed21f8a8d&=

Also do kilt sizes vary by company? The one Ihave now is a 48" waist which I thought I was until I re-mesured myself using different instructions and I'm a leap away at 28" inches. But the 48" one fits perfectly (i think that's my hip measurements) so I'm not sure what I did wrong but I'm feeling that it's just company variations.
    Last edited by Clubbingclown; 10th November 23 at 06:36 PM.

Itsivxx is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    OK, some basic kiltmaking.

A fabric yard that kilt fabric is measured at is 60 inches wide and one yard or 36 inches long.
    When making a kilt we cut the fabric in half lengthwise and join the two halves.

So, a kilt length is just the length of the piece used to make the kilt. If that length were 30 inches wide - 2 kilt yards would equal 1 fabric yard.

But kilts are almost never 30 inches in length from Selvedge up to the top of the top band. So we have to calculate how much fabric is in a kilt in square inches and compare that the the square inches in a fabric yard.

60X36=2160

Your kilt is 208X24=4992

4992/2160=2.31 fabric yards

If your kilt actually weighs 1.8 pounds then it is probably made from a 10 oz synthetic fabric
    1.8/2.31=10.38
    Yup..that it is. He was just looking for a low dollar Kilt and gave him a direction to follow. The Kilt is 65% Viscose Rayon, 35% Acetate Fiber one of my first, after getting my Phillips of Wales Cilt I rarely wear them now. They was just a good beginner Kilt
    Last edited by Itsivxx; 10th November 23 at 12:24 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12