X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Itsivxx is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Ah, you did say in post 14 to this thread "16oz heavy weight Viscose Rayon/35% Acetate".
    Yup...thats what the website said

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, and that is why I showed you how to determine the weight of fabric for your self.
    Any site that offers a 16oz synthetic fabric should be viewed with a critical eye. As of today, there is no 16oz synthetic kilt fabrics anywhere in the world.
    These kilts are made in Pakistan. The city of Sailkot to be exact. Most people do not know that Saikot, Pakistan is the largest producer of kilts and other Highland style wear in the world.
    But as the Pakistani's are not familiar with Scottish culture or heritage you would expect some misunderstandings. They see other sites advertise kilt fabric as being 16oz as the standard for highest quality. So they do the same. It is a similar thing to the use of P/V. There are sites that advertise P/V kilts with pride. Without fully understanding what P/V means the Pakistani's adopted the phrase and applied it to almost any synthetic fabric.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Itsivxx is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Yup, and that is why I showed you how to determine the weight of fabric for your self.
    Any site that offers a 16oz synthetic fabric should be viewed with a critical eye. As of today, there is no 16oz synthetic kilt fabrics anywhere in the world.
    These kilts are made in Pakistan. The city of Sailkot to be exact. Most people do not know that Saikot, Pakistan is the largest producer of kilts and other Highland style wear in the world.
    But as the Pakistani's are not familiar with Scottish culture or heritage you would expect some misunderstandings. They see other sites advertise kilt fabric as being 16oz as the standard for highest quality. So they do the same. It is a similar thing to the use of P/V. There are sites that advertise P/V kilts with pride. Without fully understanding what P/V means the Pakistani's adopted the phrase and applied it to almost any synthetic fabric.
    To be honest I really didn't care if they was made in Pakistan or anywhere else, just wanted something that wasn't going to break me to see if it was me. I just got into Kilts late June early July. Bought a few low budget Kilts to make sure this was something I felt good with. Wasn't wanting to throw out $600 to get a nice Kilt..or should I say Cilt just to find out Cilts wasn't for me. I now own two NICE wool Cilts from Wales where my family came from. I'm really not interested in getting schooled over something that I'm well aware of, I was only replying to Clubbingclown after he posted where to find a Kilt. I never said anything about these being nice, just a low budget Kilt he could buy for little moneys
    I hope I don't have to go through this each time I post something here in your site. Wanting info not drama

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, no drama just plain facts.

This forum is famous for its members answering questions from other members with provable, factual information.

You recommended a seller and repeated inaccurate advertising. You then said that you knew the information was inaccurate.

Some instructions were offered in response. Specifically how to confirm and verify advertised information.

It is not, and never was, about you or your choices. Only about getting good, factual information, to a member with a question that they felt important enough to ask here with the expectation that they would get good answers.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 11th November 23 at 03:36 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Affordable options.

Having been a college student, I understand the budget issue.... even though it was 45 years back....
    Try looking at thrift shops for a kilt. My neighbor found a USA Kilts casual in American Heritage tartan in my size along with a St Kilda jacobite shirt... for $25 USD.
    Check the good quality kilt sites for their clearance sections... I got a 16 oz black shadow tartan kilt (supposedly ex-hire but seemed more like new unsed, not even any kilt pin holes) for 40 GBP and a bunch of piper hose in various colors for 4-5 GBP per pair. Shipping for the whole order was approx. $30 USD.
    There are some good deals available, just need chase them down.

Good luck finding your deals!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123