X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap kilt brands?

So I plan to wear mostly 5-yard universal tartans for everyday wear so I don't have the concern of anything proper for formal events. But like we all know kilts can really get up there in price and the last budget kilt I got was $50 which, for a college student, isn't exactly "budget-friendly". So now I'm browsin' eBay for cheaper ones and basically just wanted to see if anyone else has purchased from these brands before and could possibly warn me from buying actual garbage lmao.

So far I'm thinking of buying from: All Safe Trading Co. ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/272851281245?var=574460103728 ) or ARR Prodics INC. https://www.ebay.com/itm/291957238435?var=593578829521

Also looking for cheap day sporrans because I'm dying for pockets, that was the one thing that led to me never wearing skirts growing up and is killing me while wearing my kilt now haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “ 100% Acrylic Wool” from Pakistan. Keep well away from flames, matches, etc. 😖😞
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind being flammable for the sake of looking cool /lh
    I Probably should've clarified I'm very open to other brand suggestions if anyone has them. Very open to less flammable ones haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advise is save up and stick with a quality kilt. You will never regret it.
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to COScotsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean like I fully intend on saving up for a good one eventually but again this is daily wear- going to art school- don't wanna worry about getting something nice ruined kinda thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might consider saving up and buying some of the casual kilts from USA Kilts. They will last longer and look better. The cheap acrylic kilts will look terrible after a short while and you'll have to replace them, costing even more money. I certainly understand being a poor college student, buying fewer but higher quality kilts that will last will save money in the long run. Ebay might be an option depending on your sizing. https://www.usakilts.com/kilts-and-p...sual-kilt.html or here https://www.usakilts.com/kilts-and-p...-in-stock.html

As for sporrans you might consider these https://www.scottishtradingcompany.c...ex&cPath=5_149 or USA Kilts has some economy options https://www.usakilts.com/accessories...y-sporran.html

You might also try asking on the Kilts and Culture Facebook group. Someone there might know more.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubbingclown View Post
    I mean like I fully intend on saving up for a good one eventually but again this is daily wear- going to art school- don't wanna worry about getting something nice ruined kinda thing
    Another option for you might be purchasing an ex-rental kilt from companies that offer such a garment. That will get into a more quality made kilt but since it was a rental, the price is much cheaper. I understand the need not worrying about ruining your kilt.
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No experience with those eBay sellers, but you’ll be hard-pressed to find anything cheaper. Normally I would recommend the Stillwater Kilts economy line for budget kilts, but they’re $52. They’re also acrylic, but get the job done. It would be better to save a bit to get a couple USA Kilts Casual kilts, but I get the whole college student budget. Christmas is coming up, too, so maybe Santa can help you out 😂

As for day sporrans, any of those that catch your eye on eBay will work. Most of them are Pakistani made and are not great quality, but will hold your things. I recommend getting a sporran strap and not wearing a chain which will wear out or possibly damage acrylic.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to 12stones For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my oldest kilts is one of those 13oz. economy acrylic kilts from ebay. I have had it for several years and it still looks good. I have never worried about it catching fire - we don't have a fire pit in the back yard nor do we go camping. The upside is the low cost and the light weight - very comfortable. The only con is that, because of the very light weight, it is more prone to "Marilyn Monroe moments" than a heavier kilt would be when it gets windy.

My go-to kilts today are two utility kilts (from Amerikilt and GotKilt) and a couple of "casual" kilts from USAKilts. I have had one of them on everyday now for nearly two full months (but that's another story).

If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If by chance you have a Facebook account, there is a Kilts and Accessories For Sale and Wanted group (and probably others similar), and also Facebook Marketplace where, if you’re patient, you can sometimes turn up decent kilts for reasonable prices. My “better” kilt is a nice heavyweight 100% wool in Black Watch (though I think of it as Munro Hunting, since I had Munro ancestors) that had been someone’s wedding kilt. It wasn’t cheap (I don’t remember the cost, and it was part of a package deal) but it was far less than it would have been new. Recently I decided I wanted a “pub kilt” that I wouldn’t be so worried about spilling a pint of Belhaven or a dram of Ardbeg onto, and got a wool blend MacDonald Ancient (I also have Donald in my lineage, though from Ayrshire so probably no clan connection) for $50. Patience is key, though, and double-check the size (the wedding kilt was stated to be my size, but turned out to be considerably larger and fell right off me, and I had to have it taken in by a woman who alters kilts for all the local pipe bands here).

As for sporrans, if you’re feeling handy (being an artist you probably are) there is a Sporran Craft group on Facebook with lots of interesting posts from people creating their own. Definitely skewed more toward those making fancier dress sporrans, but there have been some interesting day sporrans as well. I would imagine you might find some reusable leather in a thrift shop (old leather jacket, handbag, or some such thing) that could be repurposed into a pretty decent and unique day sporran. Crafting your own, you can make sure it’s large enough to carry what you need.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast