X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IoS - colour-wise pretty much anything will go (although would try and avoid looking for an exact match with any of the dominant colours in the kilt). I tend to wear pale blue cotton shirts with all of my kilts (regardless of the tartan), these normally have a fairly subtle check in them (gingham or prince of wales etc.). Personally, I'm not a big fan of tattersall, I would also steer clear of ghillie shirts.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbia lightweight fishing shirts

I live in Arizona where it's hot too. Those Columbia, or those Guides Choice, shirts made for fishermen work well for me with Isle of Skye. USA Kilts Isle of Sky in this pic.
    Most of these shirts have lots of pockets too. May not need a sporran.

Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbia lightweight fishing shirts

I live in Arizona where it's hot too. Those Columbia, or those Guides Choice, shirts made for fishermen work well for me with Isle of Skye. USA Kilts Isle of Sky in this pic.

Most of these shirts have lots of pockets too. May not need a sporran.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IoS has ben my go-to kilt for many years. Mine is from the Lochcarron mill which if I remember right, has more subdued colors in IoS than other mills. IMO it is one of the most versatile tartans when it comes to accessorizing. As OC Richard's pic above show, you can do just about anything with it. Dress it up with black leather, shiny metal and a fine wool vested Argyll, or dress it down with brown leather, brass or antiqued metal and an earth-toned tweed jacket (which is my preference, although I am putting together a more formal set up).

As for what type of shirt, I've always been rather casual above the waist, especially alternating between NorCal and SoCal, where it can be rather hot when a lot of our events are held. The Pleasonton games (triple digits sometimes) are t-shirts for sure, but the Seaside games in October are sweater weather. In Hawaii, you're probably looking at lighter fare. I think something like a lightweight t-shirt in any shade of gray will work just fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12