X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Casual shirt color for Isle of Sky

Hello!

New member here, first post!

I recently got my second kilt from USA Kilts in the Isle of Skye tartan and absolutely LOVE it. I’m having a hard time finding a casual (t-shirt/long sleeve) colored shirt to pair with it. Most of the pictures I see in the Kilts and Culture FB group either show people matching it with a black t-shirt, a Jacobite shirt, or a long sleeve dress shirt with a vest.

I live in Hawaii where it’s chronically casual and a bit on the warmer side, so I’m looking for any recommendations on regular t-shirts or maybe long sleeves whose color would complement the IoS.

Thanks in advance!
    Matt

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A light-weight, mild patterned, tattersall shirt might be worth a thought? They go with almost any event that is not formal. Just so you know, should you be thinking along the more traditional route with the kilt then the T shirt with the kilt is regarded as almost un-Scottish. Yes, they are worn in Scotland but not usually with the kilt.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 15th November 23 at 03:58 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Concur. Consider a button down short sleeve shirt or a polo/golf shirt with a collar. As Jock Scot says, tattersall is traditional, and a good way to think. But I understand... Hawaii. Long sleeves would stand out more than the kilt. Anyqway, perhaps think comfort and respectful of the kilt rather than "Hawaii casual"? There are plenty of options beside black and t-shirts.

(I know, you wanted colors. Can't help you much there.)
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never really worried too much about what t shirt I was wearing with a kilt. What color goes with IoS? All of them I say. The only guideline I'd say would be that if the shirt has a graphic on it, that it is above the kilt and not covered by it. Some people worry about 'matching' but I've never seen much of a reason.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MHorne39 View Post
    Hello!

I recently got my second kilt from USA Kilts in the Isle of Skye tartan and absolutely LOVE it. I’m having a hard time finding a casual (t-shirt/long sleeve) colored shirt to pair with it.
    Not sure what you mean by "pair with".

If you mean match, in common modern traditional Highland Dress there's not a concept of matching a shirt with a specific tartan.

Rather, a button-up shirt with collar in pretty much any ordinary shirt colour is worn with any tartan kilt.

Traditionally, for Day Dress a plain, or Tattersall, shirt is usual.

Now, what's a "Tattersall" shirt? It's one of those things that "you know when you see it" but putting it into words gets overly complicated.

Other than that, plain white shirts are the most common, but pale blue, pale yellow, etc are also seen.

Here are some Tattersall and Country Check shirts. Any of these shirts would pair with Isle of Skye (or any other tartan) just fine.

"Tattersall" implies a two-colour check pattern, square and equally spaced.

"Country check" implies a similar pattern but with three (or sometimes more) check colours, clearly seen in the shirt to far right.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 16th November 23 at 08:05 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    "Tattersall" implies a two-colour check pattern, square and equally spaced.

"Country check" implies a similar pattern but with three (or sometimes more) check colours, clearly seen in the shirt to far right.
    I'm not sure that the definition of Tattersall is limited to two colours. I Googled around, and it appears that virtually everyone describes it as either "2 to 3" or "2 or more" colours. And I have certainly purchased shirts with a 3-colour check pattern that were called Tattersall, while others of the same design were called Country Check. From what I've seen, many use the terms Tattersall and Country Check interchangeably. Maybe it has more to do with Tattersall being even thickness of checks, where Country Check has variations in the thicknesses of the checks? I won't claim to be able to explain the difference, but I happily wear them all with the kilt and don't think the nomenclature really matters.

(I do have some checked shirts with base colours other than white/cream, but those don't get worn with the kilt.)

As to the original question, though, I feel like we're forgetting that this was asked in the contemporary kilt wear forum. So the OP is not necessarily looking for the traditional Scottish take. A kilt in Hawaii is non-traditional enough by itself, and I will go ahead and assume that he won't be wearing it with kilt hose or other traditional accoutrements, so perhaps the Tattersall shirt is not really what he's looking for. Personally, I wouldn't go out in public in a kilt whilst wearing just a t-shirt, so I really can't help there.
    Last edited by Tobus; 16th November 23 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some real world examples of kilt wearing, including the Isle of Skye tartan, have you seen this thread? I refer to it often. https://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/...entures-72206/
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About "matching" colours in general, I prefer co-ordinating rather than matching.

The Isle of Skye tartan has purple, dark brown, and three different types of green as its main colours.

For co-ordinating purposes this list tells us what colours NOT to choose for some, or all, of the accessories.

Not shirts, but hose just to show the colours, here's my IoS kilt worn with Tan, Claret, and Blue.

None of these colours appear in Isle of Skye (though yes Tan is merely a much lighter Brown).

Last edited by OC Richard; 5th January 24 at 04:17 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What color?

I can relate to your desire for casual....
    An off white linen shirt would work with the IoS, be light weight and cool in the tropical climate. (Would also help to reflect some of the sun).
    The tattersall shirts are an option, but the cloth seems a bit heavy in the Florida heat and humidity, probably similar in your locale... a light shade of green may go as well. Best thing would be to take a friend that is good with color choices and wear your kilt to the shops. Once you have the colors chosen, you can expand your search online.
    I find the T shirts to be hot and clingy in the heat of the day.
    USA KILTS casual? Great in the hot and humid weather... neighbor found one for me in a thrift shop for $25 with a jacobite shirt.

Might try Etsy as well in your searches...

Best of luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isle of Skye goes well with lots of different-colored shirts. Haven't been to Hawaii in years, but I would probably wear something like this:

https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/short...irt/?color=Ash

"Blackout" and "Pirate blue" also go pretty well with it. These guys work pretty well, too:

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/1295059...leeve-polo-2.0

For a long-sleeve option, this in Black, Moonless Night, or Charcoal has served me well:

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/stylus-me...plType=regular

All three of them are polyester or polyester/spandex, so add a cotton undershirt for moisture-wicking and all of them do an excellent job of keeping you cool and comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast