X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are There Any Pipers Here?

My daughter expressed interest in getting bagpipes for Christmas. (I know, I have no time.) I don’t have a lot of money to spend, but I also don’t want to get such a cheap set that they sound horrible or don’t work properly. I could use some advice on what to look for or brands to go with. Thanks!
    (She already knows how to play, but she was using school-issues pipes and she has graduated.)
    Last edited by Naught; 20th December 23 at 06:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pipers

I am one, I have a few sets, I do not know how much they are right now, but my Poly Dunbars sound great and did not break the bank'

good luck
    aka Scott Hudson, Mason,Minister, Eagle Scout, Vet, Teacher, Student, Piper, and Burner
    Liberty starts with absolute rights over your own Body, Mind, Actions, and Earnings.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to masonpiper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might find this thread useful, just to see what's out there. https://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/...0/index20.html
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few pipers lurking here and there on this site. (I've been piping since about 2003. Former Pipe Sergeant of the Louisville Pipe Band.)

Another website you might check for advice or further information on pipes and piping in particular is the Bob Dunsire forum (https://forums.bobdunsire.com/ ). There is also a Trading Post sub-forum there where you could find used sets for sale, usually in good condition, from experienced pipers.

Best of luck in finding what you're looking for!

ETA: Maybe you should/could check with whoever provided your daughter piping instruction on what brand, where to buy, different choices to be made as to setup and accessories (bag type, bag cover, reeds, case to carry everything in, etc.).

Maybe you should also check with your daughter on what brand, etc. she'd like to have. Offer to split the cost if you find it's too much at one go for your pocketbook.
    Last edited by EagleJCS; 21st December 23 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added suggestions
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you’re gonna get her some pipes, let her pick them out. She’ll be more inclined to play them more if she likes how they look. Maybe her present can be picking out the pipes she likes.

I’m a fan of Dunbar which are just a day’s drive from you across the border in St. Catharines. Once they’re ready, you could take a long weekend and drive out there to get them. I did that when I got mine and was able to get a tour of the factory, too. And with the exchange rate, buying from Canada is especially nice to your wallet.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to YOJiMBO20 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been piping for about 30+ years and agree with YOJIMBO20, Dunbar is a very respectable name in piping and at todays exchange rate a set of pipes at 2300 Canadian dollars runs about 1750 in US dollars. Don't know if your daughter has had the "fun" of learning how to tie in a set of pipes, but if she does you may be able to reduce the cost by asking for a "set of sticks."
    No matter what anyone may think unlike "teaching" to drive, a dad who takes his girl for her first set of pipes will have deeply bonding experience. Good luck !!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m a piper as well.

Take her to a local pipe band practice. Preferably a decent one.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry I didn't see this thread until just now! Way too late for Christmas!

There are two music forums here, which is where I usually look.

I've been piping since 1975, coming up on 50 years now.

I have the thread The Joys and Dangers of Ebay Pipes which, if the whole thing is read through, will give loads of pointers.

For sure for a newbie the safe path is to get a new set of Dunbars or MacLellans especially if you're in North America or Naills, MacRaes (made by McCallum), or the new Hardie/Hendersons (made by St Kilda) especially if you're in the UK.

McCallum has made a name with their extraordinary Customer Service, but any of the makers mentioned would stand behind their pipes.

For me, new pipes seem overpriced when I can pick up a super-playing vintage set for half what a new set costs.

I recently sold my great-playing 1940s unknown pipes for around $700 on Ebay.

The two sets I currently play were each got for around $800, one set from c1930 by RG Lawrie Glasgow and the other set quite old-looking (they could be anywhere from the late 19th century to the mid 20th) by H Starck London. I wouldn't trade either set for any new set.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte