X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seaforth Highlanders WW2 Sporrans

Hi, I'm looking for any information on the types of sporran worn by the different ranks of the Seaforth Highlanders during WW2.
    Both British and Canadian, dress and undress brown leather sporrans.
    Any information greatly appreciated.
    MTIA.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Clive307 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what you mean by "dress" brown leather sporran. They were worn with the Battle Dress tunic.

Sometimes, especially prior to the war, one sees the World War One style Service Dress tunic, the dressiest kit since Full Dress was withdrawn in 1914, worn with the Full Dress long horsehair sporran, diced or tartan hosetops, and white spats.

Back to Battle Dress, here's the Pipe Major of the Seaforth Highlanders (Scotland) in WWII.

He's wearing the ordinary Seaforth pattern, a plain brown leather sporran with plain flap. The sporran badge is actually one of the two collar badges worn by the post-1881 Seaforth Highlanders. (After the 1881 amalgamation they issued both collar-badges to all members of both battalions.) It's the elephant collar badge.

I do believe that in some regiments only officers and pipers wore brown leather "day" sporrans. After all, kilts wouldn't ordinarily be worn on active service, though pipers and officers sometimes appear in them, and sometimes guards would be posted at headquarters in kilts.
    I think the Seaforths only had this one pattern. However I've seen WWII photos of officers of various units wearing civilian brown leather Day sporrans (bottom photos). I suppose officers, purchasing their own kit, could wear what they wanted.

Here's an example showing the hidden popper closure and the badge. The sporran is dark brown, which people often mistake for black.

Here, to left, the Pipe Major of the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, in WWII.

He's wearing an ordinary sporran, no badge, the same style made and worn for civilian use.

He's wearing one like at left below. Both are dark brown, often mistaken for black.

Last edited by OC Richard; 28th December 23 at 07:15 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's one on Ebay just now for a very reasonable opening bid.

It has a stud closure as opposed to the hidden popper style.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/old-militar...p2056016.l4276

Last edited by OC Richard; 31st December 23 at 01:24 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you OC Richard

Thank you very much for the reply to my thread. Sorry for the tardy response, I have been away. That answers all the questions I have on Seaforth Sporrans!! Your help is very much appreciated, Aye.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Clive307 For This Useful Post: