X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an aside, I am definitely opposed to the 'modern' practice of wearing kilts low, but re waistcoat length it's not exactly correct to say that waistcoat lengths getting longer is a departure from traditional highland styles - there's plenty of images that illustrated longer waistcoat lengths were also acceptable - indeed quiet a few that illustrated at certain periods waistcoats typically worn by civilian Highlanders were actually longer than the jackets worn over the top.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    Just an aside, I am definitely opposed to the 'modern' practice of wearing kilts low, but re waistcoat length it's not exactly correct to say that waistcoat lengths getting longer is a departure from traditional highland styles - there's plenty of images that illustrated longer waistcoat lengths were also acceptable - indeed quiet a few that illustrated at certain periods waistcoats typically worn by civilian Highlanders were actually longer than the jackets worn over the top.
    What period?

For sure in the 18th century waistcoats were long, though once again the Highland ones were rather shorter than their English counterparts.

I was talking about the period after modern-style jackets and waistcoats appeared, roughly the 1840s.

I looked though a pile of old photos and paintings and I did find one with a waistcoat longer than the jacket, a child's outfit from the mid-18th century.

The adult's outfits were showing this

Last edited by OC Richard; 29th January 24 at 04:14 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    What period?

For sure in the 18th century waistcoats were long, though once again the Highland ones were rather shorter than their English counterparts.

I was talking about the period after modern-style jackets and waistcoats appeared, roughly the 1840s.

I looked though a pile of old photos and paintings and I did find one with a waistcoat longer than the jacket, a child's outfit from the mid-18th century.

The adult's outfits were showing this

I think we do need to remember that hand-me-downs were and still are, to an extent, an issue of note for much of Scotland's attire, so we do need to be careful when making attire judgements from pictures and paintings. Yes of course, the tailored look for an individual, with their new super dooper outfit that fits to a T, but, care needs to be taken when observing these wonderful outfits.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd February 24 at 03:47 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporran location

Interesting how high up the sporran is worn in the second picture that Jock posted... with strap going through the back of sporran and over the waistcoat...

Very different from current "tradition"....

Jock, thanks for these references and sharing information...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12