X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LG's Levee

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Then let's keep it healthy and leave our “Gilbertian” comments out of the picture. Sounds a bit like “Albertan” by the way.
    I had rather guessed a connection to the state of Alberta, but to be honest I really don’t understand the relevance of your last sentence above?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

...theatrical tartan outfits that do absolutely no favours to general kilt attire at all.
    Interestingly, I do believe the only time I've seen, in person, a full tartan outfit worn here in the USA was by a Clan Chief who was visiting one of our Highland Games.

Someone not knowing his position might take his head-to-toe tartan outfit and big bonnet feathers as being theatrical.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Interestingly, I do believe the only time I've seen, in person, a full tartan outfit worn here in the USA was by a Clan Chief who was visiting one of our Highland Games.

Someone not knowing his position might take his head-to-toe tartan outfit and big bonnet feathers as being theatrical.
    Last fall I competed at Highland Games in New England and a visiting clan chief had an Argyle Jacket over a “Jacobite” shirt.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, I do believe the only time I've seen, in person, a full tartan outfit worn here in thelUSA was by a Clan Chief who was visiting one of our Highland Games.

Some who do know would absolutely and definitely consider that particular Chief’s outfit as rather unnecessary and overly theatrical.

A plain coloured( not tartan )bonnet and feathers are significant as that shows to all the Chief’s position in life and that is acceptable and traditional.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 4th February 24 at 10:02 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My take on his outfit was

1) he's the Chief and if someone is going to display his tartan head-to-toe who's more fitting than him to do it?

2) he's the Chief so he can dress as he pleases.

3) we Americans might be expecting a bit of panache from the Chief.

(I've seen photos of him elsewhere dressed in a much more reserved manner.)
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how much a 'tatran excess' reaction to seeing a full-tartan outfit is more a modern view based on conditioned expectation, than anything else.

True, the tartanmania theatricals that plagued the 19th century ballrooms have perhaps been that small step from the sublime to the ridiculous, but Highland dress from previous eras seems to have been a pick-n-mix riot of tartan - if contemporary illustrations and portraits are anything to go by.

Personally, I rather like to see full use of tartan in an outfit (but moderated for the occasion) and have pretty much the same attitude to what you might call full-tartan day-wear, as I have to a tweed three-piece suit with matching cap and overcoat. Both are rare sights these days, but can be a great treat to see.

In the post-WWII period, the then Lord Lyon was bewailing the ever-descending dressing-down of Highland dress, which he said were "Attempts by self-concious Lowlanders to convert the picturesque dress of the Gael into a 'quiet style' and to deprive the garb of its ornament or reduce it to drab monotony... is un-Scottish and contemptible."

Sir Thomas Innes was no doubt onto something there, and we all know the 'right thing' when we see it - and feel our sensibilities jarred when done otherwise.

Everything in moderation, I say, but we should always feel free to indulge when we have the chance.

9. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tartan waistcoats and hose are things I'd love to see worn more often.
    Same here!
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Patty Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Robert MacNab and Donald MacNaghton'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	428662652_10159414583372030_5705764743635240645_n.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	43295

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilbertian

Some of us have a little more Gilbertian in us than others...

Name:	5241797783_0c12918632.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	43297

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Glen For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    Some of us have a little more Gilbertian in us than others...

Name:	5241797783_0c12918632.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	43297
    Particularly as the chap in the picture was an accomplished piper, therefore he is from the entertainment part of Highland attire and the Gilbert.......er umm theatrical world and it was accepted attire for him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast