X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burns Supper for X Mark Folks?

Wondering if we are trying for a “Atlanta” area gathering for supper? What area should we start looking into get something going? Or is there a want? Let’s figure it out gents! Seems the baton has been passed.
    LOCH SLOY!
    Cheers, Wil

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wil For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From our FAQ's - "Terms of Service, Policies and Guidelines"

The Guidelines for Public Representation of X Marks

All the members of this forum can be rightfully proud of what we have built. It is only natural that we would want to share our forum with others. Highland Games and other events are natural places where we would meet others who share our passion for the Kilt. These events become a great way for our members to talk about this forum. As most of us participate here using screen names it also presents the problem of how we recognize other members.

We would like to encourage our members to show their pride and inform others of our forum but in the past there have been some unfortunate and intentioned incidents. We are publishing this set of guidelines for our members to help prevent similar incidents in the future.

1) Identifying members of the forum.
    There are several accepted symbols of our forum and acceptable ways for members to announce their membership on this forum and recognize other members.
    1. The X Marks Tartan.
    2. The Logo from the top left hand corner of this website.
    3. The X Marks Cap Badge, Kilt Pin, and Embroidered Patch.
    4. The Dandelion.

The display or wearing of any of these symbols of our forum are acceptable ways for our members to identify each other.

2) Business or Contact Cards.
    A good way to give others the web site address of this forum is in the form of calling or contact cards. Cards may contain graphic representations of any of the accepted symbols of the forum. All cards must contain the full URL address of the forum. (www.xmarksthescot.com).
    No solicitation for members, or enticement or incentive to join this forum may be offered or implied.

3) X Marks specific tents, booths or stalls.
    X Marks members would not be attending an event for the same purpose as a Clan Society who sign up members and collect dues, nor would they be attending as a vendor who sells something. This means our members would have little reason or need for an X Marks-specific booth or stall.
    For this reason no X Marks-specific tents, booths or stalls are authorized.
    We do encourage ways for our members to know where to meet other members and to gather for photos.
    To establish a meeting place, members may display a sign or banner within, or on, an existing tent, booth, or stall. An existing booth or stall could be, for example;
    1. One where general information on Kilts, Tartan, Clan history, or any of the other topic covered on this forum are already the subject and reason for the tent or booth.
    2. An existing tent or booth of a Clan Society, or vendor, where the person manning the tent or booth is also a member of this forum.

4) Signs and banners
    Members who wish to establish a meeting place at Highland Games or other public events may use a sign and/or banner. Signs and banners are encouraged within the following guidelines
    1. The proper name of this forum for use on signs or banners is "X Marks the Scot.com". No use of any name or phrase such as "Clan X Marks" or "The X Marks Clan" may be used.
    2. Any of the accepted symbols of the forum may be used on signs and banners.
    3. The phrase from our forum "A Community of Kiltwearers" is the accepted description of what and who we are.
    4. Signs or banners may be displayed as long as they contain the full URL address of the site "www.xmarksthescot.com" plainly visible on the sign or banner. This is to ensure that it is clear that this is an on-line forum.
    5. Signs or banners may contain a date and time for a meet-up or photo opportunity.

5) Referring to X Marks as a Clan.
    X Marks is renowned around the world as a friendly community of kilt wearers. Our members gather here on-line for polite discussion and to share the sense of community and brotherhood which we have developed over the years.
    While this may seem to be similar to the function of the Scottish Clans and Clan Societies, to avoid any confusion and prevent offense to members of accepted Scottish Clans;
    1. Members of X Marks will not refer to this forum as Clan X Marks.
    2. Members will not imply or suggest that this forum is a Clan.
    3. No member of this forum will attempt to carry an X Marks banner or participate in a "Parade of the Clans" or other Clan function as a representative of the forum.

There are many unfortunate examples of social or commercial groups attempting to participate in Clan activities, such as "Parade of Tartan" events, and in so doing creating serious discontent. We wish to ensure that X Marks upholds its reputation of respect for Scottish and Clan tradition, and that we never become embroiled in such controversies.

6) Official Representation
    We all participate here as individuals. To avoid legal issues no member of this forum is authorized to act or imply that they are an official representative of the forum.

We ask that any member inform the Staff or Owner of this forum anytime they wish to establish a meeting place, display or advertise this forum. This is a request out of simple courtesy and to keep us informed.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 15th January 24 at 10:23 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    Wondering if we are trying for a “Atlanta” area gathering for supper? What area should we start looking into get something going? Or is there a want? Let’s figure it out gents! Seems the baton has been passed.
    Coordinating an official Burns Night is a big task and I don't know if any of the Atlanta area regulars have the time or desire to take it on. That said, we could easily have a less formal gathering at an area pub or restaurant, could do some readings and make some toasts. sans haggis, piper, etc.
    Craig Jones
    ---
    It’s a lang road that’s no goat a turnin

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Creag For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about Mac Mcgee in the Battery at Smyrna on Saturday the 27th at 6PM. If we can get a headcount by the 22nd I'll make a reservation. I'm asking for a count that far in advance because if there's several of us it's good to reserve early. Maybe also can get us a corner out of the way.

https://macmcgeepubs.com/

https://maps.app.goo.gl/8Vu64bUtT3iWixmA9
    Craig Jones
    ---

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creag View Post
    How about Mac Mcgee in the Battery at Smyrna on Saturday the 27th at 6PM. If we can get a headcount by the 22nd I'll make a reservation. I'm asking for a count that far in advance because if there's several of us it's good to reserve early. Maybe also can get us a corner out of the way.

https://macmcgeepubs.com/

https://maps.app.goo.gl/8Vu64bUtT3iWixmA9

I reckon that's a bust. Maybe we get an earlier start next year we can work something out.
    Craig Jones
    ---

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But if anyone's interested there's this. I am very likely to drive down and have dinner, a pint, and a wee dram.

https://allevents.in/dunwoody/burns-...00026040860051

EDIT: I'm definitely going to go. Not sure what they have planned but at least I'll have a meal and a pint and some kilted time.
    Last edited by Creag; 24th January 24 at 06:57 PM.
    Craig Jones
    ---

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So they are actually preparing a traditional Burns Night meal here. There will be neeps and tatties and haggis. I think if we coordinate we might could do a proper Burns night here at Thomas O'Reilly. There seems to be enough space.
    Craig Jones
    ---

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, guys. The Haggis meal at Thos. O'Reilly's was good. They played pipe music when the haggis was done and the plates came out. I don't know if anyone but me had it, honestly.

I spoke with the manager and he said he was trying to get Piper for tonight but couldn't find one available.

My take is, since he's willing to cook a haggis and get a piper without a guaranteed audience, he's probably love to host a Burns Night group.

I propose we meet there for a Kilt night and discuss. I'll make a post about that soon. It may be 6 weeks or so given what I know about my schedule right now.
    Craig Jones
    ---

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Creag For This Useful Post: