Hello all! New forum member here. Wow, posting on a vBulletin forum really takes me back about 20 years, pre-Facebook and other social media. It's nice to see there still exists independent "social media" with an active community.

I grew up going to highland games with my family. My oldest brother is a piper. Back then we called them "clan games." Some of my family still does. My son was a piper with the Portland Metro Youth Pipeband during his teen years. He's 27 now and I wish he'd play more, but I guess is too worried about disturbing the neighbors in his apartment complex.

A few years ago I started getting back into shape and doing some weight training. A friend of mine competed in her first highland games athletic events and encouraged me to do the same. So I did and absolutely loved it! So I've competed a few times and love to join in when possible.

Last year I got to take my first trips to Scotland. I was there for 2 weeks in Feb 2023 and again for 4 weeks in July 2023. I was taking kiltmaking courses during the day and working remote at night, but used the weekends for site-seeing. My wife was with me for July. She worked on some of her family history. We visited several beautiful locations in the Kingdom of Fife, my wife's ancestral home. And we took a quick trip into Hawick where my grandfather is born. I was able to find and see the print shop my great grandfather used to own. It's still there, but in a new location and of course under new(er) management. Other than that we spent most of our time in and around Edinburgh.

I absolutely loved it in Scotland and look forward to taking making more visits again in the future. I love hiking and it's my dream to someday do a backpacking trip there.