X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the dangers of daily kilt wearer

Today I discovered one of the dangers of wearing the kilt. I was in Stater's bro. (a grocery store on California) and the woman behind me said she was into fabric and wanted to know what group it was from. I told her anderson. The woman in front of me said she was ayr. The other woman dropped out and after the second one told me a little qabout her clan I asked the first woman why she asked. She said she quilted and the patter was beautiful, The second woman also said she was part norwegian and the fiirst woman jiked that meant they had to fight as she was pure swede.
    I only bought one thiong so was basically out the door with the second lady who told me quite abit about her clan and family's history. It was interesting but beware when you wear the kilt you may end up in the parking lot talking.

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that has happened to me. Last night was different. I had a ham radio club meeting at a cafeteria. This cafeteria is nicknamed the Medicare Lounge. The initials (MCL) of the cafeteria lends itself to this label. It tends to cater to an older crowd. Going through the line there was a lady behind me that asked if I played the bagpipes. I told her no, but I made the kilt. I told her I was here for a meeting but did not say what the meeting as about or why I had on a kilt. Our meeting was short and when the group left (about ten of us) we walked past the table where the lady and her friends/family were seated. I heard her say to her friends "Oh, there goes the group of bagpipers". Ten guys, I am the only one in a kilt, and the group is now identified as bagpipers.

Mike

4. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Mike in Dayton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh it can be the other way around as well. A couple of Years ago, while out with my family, we heard a man shouting out the side window "Hey You! Why are You walking in ladies dress?"
    Guess, as he was of Arabian decendance, he hadn't heard about Kilts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauge View Post
    Oh it can be the other way around as well. A couple of Years ago, while out with my family, we heard a man shouting out the side window "Hey You! Why are You walking in ladies dress?"
    Guess, as he was of Arabian decendance, he hadn't heard about Kilts...
    This is great..!

Especially coming from an Arab, whose traditional long, loose robes are no more 'manly'.

There was a case a few years ago, when a British Government delegation to one of the west African countries went to an official function laid on by the hosts. One of the British party went kilted with all the gear, and was shocked when one of the Africans sidled up to him and informed him that men are not permitted to wear ladies' clothes in their country..!

It seems incredible that there are still many (especially in the Western World) who still have no knowledge or understanding of the kilt. But all the stories of misunderstanding and wrong assumptions are great entertainment for the likes of us on XMarks.

7. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite was walking across a parking lot in New Mexico to go to a supermarket a drunk panhandler yelled out in an excited and positive tone, "Hey Switzerland!" At least he got the starts with an S part right.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that would have been right for me

After my scottish progenitors came to america they fell in among the swiss
    "
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    My favorite was walking across a parking lot in New Mexico to go to a supermarket a drunk panhandler yelled out in an excited and positive tone, "Hey Switzerland!" At least he got the starts with an S part right.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The"dreaded tartan justification lecture" is something we locals try to avoid at all costs and it is a phenomenon that lurks throughout Scotland 24/7, 365 days of the year and is ready to pounce at any time!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 1st February 24 at 12:12 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll try to behave...

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    The"dreaded tartan justification lecture" is something we locals try to avoid at all costs and it is a phenomenon that lurks throughout Scotland 24/7, 365 days of the year and is ready to pounce at any time!
    When I go to Scotland this summer, I will try not to discuss ancestry, etc... unless asked directly. I find walking through the neighborhoods where my ancesters lived their everyday lives is fascinating. The internal questioning, "Did my great grandfather play in that yew tree when he was a wee lad?", "Cheapside must have looked much different in the day"...
    I enjoy interacting with the locals, even though I dinnea ken when they get excited and increase the tempo of their speech...
    Beautiful country steeped in history and a fine sense of humor.

As I have taken to wearing a kilt daily here in the States, I will most likely be kilted in Scotland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had the same but with my Royal Navy “middy” aka Class II jumper a couple times, mainly navy vets who are interested if mine was actually deployed I.e the three creases in the flap, because I got it at surplus.

I don’t think people are that bothered about tartan where I live since I’ve worn shirts and ties of various tartans before and not had a word, I guess I’ll see how the kilt pans out.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurKiltsmen View Post

I don’t think people are that bothered about tartan where I live since I’ve worn shirts and ties of various tartans before and not had a word, I guess I’ll see how the kilt pans out.
    From far too many years of experience of tartan garments in this country, from North to South and back again, tartan garments,( ties, socks, shirts etc.) barely raise an eyebrow. Its not until tartan in kilt form is seen down South do comments, good and not so good, which can raise an eyebrow and even cause an adverse reaction. Just saying.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 15th March 24 at 01:22 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast