X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Interesting!

An Irish guy I did a couple gigs with used the term "bog Irish" to mean rural peasant Irish, sort of the Irish equivalent of the US hillbilly.

Now I'm unsure which meaning of "bog" he had in mind!
    He meant peat bog - an old mate of mine is from Mayo, his wife is from Dublin, when he went a little of tangent she would pull him up by jokingly say he was "such a bogger".

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    an old mate of mine is from Mayo, his wife is from Dublin, when he went a little of tangent she would pull him up by jokingly say he was "such a bogger".
    Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2_8Igq7ko4
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You tube video

I stumbled across this video the other day, thought it might be of interest...

https://youtu.be/v4a0tt8kdG4?feature=shared

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitfoxdave View Post
    I stumbled across this video the other day, thought it might be of interest...

https://youtu.be/v4a0tt8kdG4?feature=shared
    As I don't have an artistic mind I had no conception or expectation of how the newly discovered tartan might have turned out when re-produced, but somehow I am rather disappointed with the result.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coloring

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    As I don't have an artistic mind I had no conception or expectation of how the newly discovered tartan might have turned out when re-produced, but somehow I am rather disappointed with the result.
    Jock, I found the colors to be rather like camoflage, for that Glen Affric area ... I does make sense as the dyes were originally made from local plants and such.
    I prefer the Angels Share tartan over this one.

It is good they did go through the effort to bring back an Historic tartan though

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitfoxdave View Post
    I does make sense as the dyes were originally made from local plants and such.
    Scotand is a small county and there are actually very few traditional dyes plants that are location specific or restricted. The idea that tartan colours were regionally determined is not borne out by evidence.

Even by the time that Glen Affric was woven there had been the widespread use of some imported dyes, and by the 18th century their use was even greater, especially for reds and blue.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of garment might the Glen Affric tartan have been a part of? Obviously it's impossible to know for sure, but what was worn in tartan in those days? Wasn't it too early for a great kilt?
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    What kind of garment might the Glen Affric tartan have been a part of? Obviously it's impossible to know for sure, but what was worn in tartan in those days? Wasn't it too early for a great kilt?
    Depending on when in the 16th century, it was not too early for the Belted Plaid. That said, the cloth s too fine to have been practical for that use. Nor do we know if it belonged to a man or woman but it's likely to have been a lighter outer garment, possibly a status piece of some sort.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234