X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Sporran Plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporran Plate

I have a sporran that I made several years ago from a garage sale mink coat. I'd like to dress it up a bit to look like this one: https://www.usakilts.com/prince-char...s-sporran.html. I know I can always buy a sporran and disassemble it, but I was hoping someone had a source for the badge or similar ones.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know who made that one, it's a reworking of an old style that's been around since the 1920s, which has always been called the "Prince Charlie" style sporran.

It's like an ordinary pocket-shaped leather Day sporran but made in fur, with an ornamental pentangular plate on the fur flap.

Here are the different styles of plates they've long offered.

I don't know who makes the hardware that the modern sporran makers use. You could probably purchase a plate from them.

All of the various British-made sporran hardware has been re-cast and mass-produced in Pakistan so contacting one of the Pakistani makers is another possibility.

On Ebay UK there's often sporran hardware for sale, on Ebay US not as often.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't find any of the hardware on Ebay UK right now.

Here's an entire sporran for $30 if you wanted to go that route. It's a Pakistani sporran of course.

Around 1980 the sporran makers created a new style they called "semi dress" by taking some of the hardware off of fur Evening sporrans and attaching it to leather Day sporrans.

So, you'll see plain leather sporrans with those pentangular "Prince Charlie" plates on them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16612317878...Bk9SR6jQg5SxYw
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sporran is the style in the upper left, but darker (more like the lower right one). But, of course, without the plate. A friend of mine who makes sporrans suggested adding a badge instead of a plate. If so, I would probably do this one instead of a clan badge: https://kilts-n-stuff.com/shop/clans...-badge-brooch/