X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hand-knitting socks/hose

After years of telling myself I ought to take up knitting, I finally waded in about 2 months ago. It's not nearly as scary as I thought. And it's pretty addictive! Especially for my engineer's brain who dissects it all into the mechanics of the stitches, the maths of gauge and sizing, and the experimentation with variables like needle sizes and types, techniques, and so on. I'm really enjoying it. For such a simple activity, it can get as complex as one cares to make it.

With that said, I wanted to focus on socks from the get-go. To date, I have knit a few complete socks and more half-finished socks than I care to admit. I know we have some knitters here, some of whom I have been talking to off-site. But I wanted to throw it out there for open discussion on sock knitting, in the hopes I'll learn something else along the way.

What methods do you prefer? Toe-up or cuff-down? What heel type do you prefer? What's your favourite cast-on and bind-off? What yarn weight and needle type/size work best for you? What have you learned along the way that would help someone hand-knit better socks?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a tall boot sock I just finished, and I'm working on its mate right now. Full kilt hose with a turnover cuff is on my list, but I've been experimenting with so many options for the other parts of sock construction that I haven't gotten to it yet. For now, just a tall sock.

This is a toe-up hunting sock in a camouflage-coloured variegated aran weight yarn. After much experimentation, I've settled on Judy's Magic Cast-On for an easy and flawless toe. I start with 5mm needles on Magic Loop until I get past the toe increases (I use kfb increases on each side). For the foot, I switch to a 9" circular needle, still 5mm size, to work the stockinette. At the heel, I switch back to Magic Loop and work the short-row heel using "shadow wraps" which I much prefer to the double stitches of the German short-row method. I tried something new here on the heel, using the eye-of-partridge slip-stitch pattern on the short rows. It thickened the heel like I wanted but compressed the heel pocket smaller than normal (both width and length), so I'll probably end up doing some increases before the heel on my next sock to make the heel pocket deeper and wider while still getting the benefit of a thicker-knitted heel. I may also continue the slip-stitch pattern further up the back of the leg past the heel even after I've gone back to knitting in the round, for a heel similar to a traditional heel flap. I have narrow heels, apparently, so a sock that's thicker in the heel really helps.

For the leg portion, I switch back to 9" circular needles but go down a needle size to 4.5mm when I start the k3p1 ribbing. I did some increases to work up to the calf using m1l/m1r stitches, which essentially sprouts new ribs as you can easily see in the first pic. I'm not sure I like the locations where I did these, so I'll readjust on the next sock to make them look more natural. But I do like the way it shapes the calf and keeps the ribbing at the front half of the leg straight. I have adopted the "combination knitting" style where I knit western but purl eastern. It makes for much more uniformity in my stitches. But it does take some attention on which leg of the previous stitch you work into!

At the top, I just did 2 inches of k1p1 ribbing. I stepped down needle size again to 4mm for the upper ribbing, and I really should have gone even smaller to 3.5mm for extra taper in the cuff. For the bind-off, I tried the invisible tubular bind-off for 1x1 ribbing, and it was fantastic. I made a few mistakes at first, but I got the hang of it and will definitely use it as my go-to for binding off ribbed cuffs.

I'll take any constructive criticism or advice you have to offer. As long as it takes for me to knit a sock, anything I can learn without having to experiment myself is a win. I've got 10 balls of Rowan Felted Tween yarn in my stash, calling my name for a pair of kilt hose, but that's pretty pricy stuff. So I want to work out all my bugs on these practice socks first.

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a non-knitter, non-engineer and non-mathematical type, I'm impressed!

You're a man of many talents, Tobus.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To my untrained eye, those are some pretty darn (har!) nice "practice" socks.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    As a non-knitter, non-engineer and non-mathematical type, I'm impressed!

You're a man of many talents, Tobus.

Cheers,

SM
    Eh, thanks, but I'm probably more aptly described as a man of a few acquired skills. If it took talent to knit, I wouldn't be able to do it! I have little to no artistic ability, natural skill, or even good fine-motor control. The cool thing about knitting is that it's pretty much just learning to do two types of stitches. Everything else is a variant or combination of those, applied in certain patterns. Granted, there are hundreds of ways to make those stitches with different knitting styles or techniques, and it takes a while to figure out what works best for each person. But with a little practise, anyone can do it. A lot of people, apparently, spend their knitting lives just following pre-written patterns. The fun part for me is customising and experimenting for perfect-fitting finished products.

But - I'm just getting started, I have a lot to learn, and I could see spending many years at it. So again, if any of the more experienced knitters here would like to share their preferred methods and their reasons why they prefer them, I'm all ears!

Here are a few failed or abandoned projects that I learned some valuable lessons on. Sometimes I unravel projects to re-use the yarn, sometimes I just give up and throw them in the drawer of failure.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Sometimes I unravel projects to re-use the yarn.
    Frogging.

https://rowhouseyarn.com/blogs/news/...or-not-to-frog
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobus, when you get past the "practice" phase, this place has some really nice yarn.

https://o-wool.com/
    Tulach Ard

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacKenzie View Post
    Tobus, when you get past the "practice" phase, this place has some really nice yarn.

https://o-wool.com/
    Thanks! I've bookmarked it for future shopping.

What are your favourite yarns? I'll be trying Rowan felted tweed soon, and I'm keen to try Malabrigo that I've heard (and seen) so much about. But I'm always looking for personal recommendations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    What are your favourite yarns?
    I only know yarn by association. Mrs. MacKenzie crochets. I will ask what her favorites are.

I just know that something made with yarn that is spun from natural fibers has a much better feel than acrylic (all or partially). And I'm told is a LOT easier to work with... it's not as "slippery", whatever that means. She generally won't spend the $ for the really nice yarns, so I gift her with some occasionally.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacKenzie View Post
    I only know yarn by association. Mrs. MacKenzie crochets. I will ask what her favorites are.

I just know that something made with yarn that is spun from natural fibers has a much better feel than acrylic (all or partially). And I'm told is a LOT easier to work with... it's not as "slippery", whatever that means. She generally won't spend the $ for the really nice yarns, so I gift her with some occasionally.
    In my limited experience, I agree that natural fibers are much better to work with. In my photo above of partial socks, those are all with aran-weight wool. I use stainless steel needles, and don't mind the slipperiness of the yarn on the needles. Everything glides and stretches, helping me not to knit everything too tight. But the camo sock I posted was with an acrylic yarn, and it's very sticky on the needles as well as on itself in the stitches. It has no loft and no stretch, so it's pretty unforgiving. It's like knitting with cord rather than yarn. I feel like I'm fighting with it the whole time. After I finish the second sock to match that one, I'm going back to wool/merino/alpaca/viscose blends.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why I find this hilarious, but I do. When I start knitting a toe-up sock and get past the toe increases, I switch over to circular cable needles with a stitch marker in place for the beginning of my round.

At that point, the toe of the sock looks like a little German hat.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast