X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New on the kilt journey

Hello all!

I have been mulling over the idea of acquiring a kilt for a while. I didn't do a lot of research ahead of time in terms of cost and time, to be fair, and focused on tartan first. In considering what tartan I might like, I decided to design and register a tartan. I'm sure that I am going about things in an unconventional way, but I am learning a lot. I have enrolled in a course in hand stitching basics, and I think if that goes well, I'll sew my own, and if not, I'll hire someone to make my first kilt. Either way, I am asking around for the cost of weaving and trying to get an idea of how much that will be.

I'd also like to design a sporran cantle with matching belt buckle, kilt pin, and plaid brooch, and my sketchbook is filling up with ideas. This is definitely a long-term type of project.

I look forward to reading about others' experiences and I hope to learn from you all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!

You will find the cost of a custom run of tartan very high, but I have the sense that you are a patient individual and may be willing to wait and save up your shekels.

As far as sewing your own kilt, the "Bible" on the topic according to most members here, is "The Art of Kiltmaking" https://www.theartofkiltmaking.com/ by Barbara Tewksbury, a member of XMarks here. https://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu...nal/kiltmaking

Good luck with your project, and remember that quality, speed, and economy are not mutual goals. Best advice? You're better to do your research extensively, save your money, and invest in quality the first time, rather than end up with a few articles whose cost could have better been employed in doing what you ultimately want rather than interim purchases.

Cheers!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post

As far as sewing your own kilt, the "Bible" on the topic according to most members here, is "The Art of Kiltmaking" https://www.theartofkiltmaking.com/ by Barbara Tewksbury, a member of XMarks here. https://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu...nal/kiltmaking
    That book has been my bedtime reading as of late! I have been supplementing that information by watching Vancouver kiltmaker Robert MacDonald's videos on YouTube to better contextualize what I am reading. I have a meter of single width tartan in transit to practice stitching with, and I am excited to see how bad I may be with needle and thread.

Thank you for warm welcome!

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to bookish For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would advise getting hold of some suitable fabric and sewing notions and trying out your patience and craftsmanship making a few kilts just to see what is involved.

There is the danger that you might become addicted to kilt making - I find it interesting to find ways to get the 3 dimensional shape imposed on a 2 dimensional fabric by twisting and easing the wool.

It would be advisable to test yourself on lesser fabrics than a custom woven tartan. A fabric with a woven grid pattern is the best option as it gives guidelines though it also highlights misalignments. The least helpful fabric is plain black or other very dark colour but I do have a number of kilts which are plain jet black. I also have a great deal of patience. Bricks would get bored and wander off as I measure and pin and wait for bright sunny days to do the sewing.

I started to make kilts after quite a few decades of creating garments and must confess to a couple of early attempts ending up in the rag bag and one went in the dustbin. but I do find that to be wearing a kilt of one's own making whilst planning and making another is a great incentive.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to "X" from Northern Colorado!
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sian Vaughan-Jones can probably help realise your ideas for a customer cantle etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/svaughanjones/

[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I would advise getting hold of some suitable fabric and sewing notions and trying out your patience and craftsmanship making a few kilts just to see what is involved.
    My patience is hit and miss, but I am out of practice with meditative concentration, so I hope stitching practice will be good for that. Thank you for the advice! Is there a particular weight, material that you have found useful for practice? I imagine a medium weight or heavy weight twill will do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COScotsman View Post
    Welcome to "X" from Northern Colorado!
    Thank you very much!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    Sian Vaughan-Jones can probably help realise your ideas for a customer cantle etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/svaughanjones/
    I will look them up. Thank you for the suggestion!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bookish View Post
    My patience is hit and miss, but I am out of practice with meditative concentration, so I hope stitching practice will be good for that. Thank you for the advice! Is there a particular weight, material that you have found useful for practice? I imagine a medium weight or heavy weight twill will do.
    It is not so much the weight as the feel of the fabric.
    Although the pleats are straight up and down on the grain, the fell and edges of the apron are subtly curved and moulded between hip and waist, so the fabric should be a little malleable rather than rigid, with threads which are easy to pick out and follow. It should not be too soft as then it will not hold a crease and will need a lot of primping, and become a rumpled mess if sat on when unsmoothed.

Twill is the traditional fabric type, but I have used ordinary tabby even though it is not so resistant to the pressure of sewn pleats and straps at the waist, but with all my kilts I am careful to make the outer layer just slightly oversize and gently ease it onto the stabilizing substructure which takes the strain and minimizes wear.
    Over time woollen fabric alters under pressure, so old kilts can become a sad sight all for the lack of a little ease in the construction.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast