X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montrose Jacket Question

I have an Argyle jacket for general wear, but was considering getting something more formal. I am not a fan of of the Prince Charlie. I was considering a Sheriffmuir, but the more examples I see of it the less it appeals to me. I am now looking at the Montrose to wear with a jabot, etc on more formal occasions.

HOWEVER, while most of the models I see in advertisements could be said to have a trim, military bearing, I resemble more the fellow who has ignominiously lost the Battle of Shortbread. I am, to be uncharitable, slightly rotund. At 250 pounds (nearly 18 stone) and five feet nine or ten inches, I am underheight.

I put the question to you - will I, in a semi-bell-shaped Montrose Dublet, cut a surprisingly dashing figure for a older chap without a gym membership? Or would I be subjecting myself to ridicule and scorn by those who value their own judgement above kindness towards a quirky yet friendly senior citizen?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion only:

I chose a Sherrifmuir for multiple reasons. First of all, for me, the collar shape mimics my clerical collar, a personal preference. The squared off bottom of a Montrose may show a belly gap unless the kilt is correctly worn, and even then it, along with the double row of buttons is likely to emphasize the belly. The Sherrifmuir, on the other hand, is never buttoned up, hanging loose and open with tashes disguising the belly bulge.

Totally, however, your call.

Last edited by Father Bill; 21st February 24 at 11:07 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The Sherrifmuir, on the other hand, is never buttoned up, hanging loose and open with tashes disguising the [battle of the bulge]"
    Food for thought here. I like food. Thanks Father Bill!

BTW - looking natty in your Dublet! Thanks for the photo.
    Last edited by crumbaughs; 21st February 24 at 12:23 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to crumbaughs For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or a Doublet perhaps? The older style and still the best IMO.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brutally honest opinion is that the Montrose is most flattering for those gentlemen of a slimmer figure. Also of importance to note is that the Montrose is unforgiving of any gains in the wearer’s weight. The Sherifmuir is a better choice for more full figured gents and allows a little give if their figure becomes …well, fuller.

The Montrose is generally worn with a belt and thus adds another element that can accentuate a gentleman’s waist and attention to it.

I am very glad to own a Sherifmuir doublet as it has worked with my figure even though I have gained a few pounds over the years.

Hope this was of help

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie,
    I was hoping for honest opinions.
    I didn't find yours very brutal.
    It is very useful to me and I thank you for your input.

Steve

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the Prince Charlie coatee and the Montrose shell jacket were introduced in the 20th century, at the time which Highland outfitters/tailors were producing catalogues, we can see how the firms which made them presented them to the public.

Over and over it was stressed that the Prince Charlie was suited for young slim fashionable men, and the Doublet was recommended for mature gents.

With the Montrose it's interesting that it's initially shown as a youth's costume, and the catalogues generally have it modelled on what appear to be teenagers or perhaps men in their early 20's.

These attitudes have gone by the wayside and at events I usually see Prince Charlies worn by older (and often rotund) gents. I hardly see the Montrose at all these days, though it was very popular in the 1940s and 1950s.

Being a large person myself, I can say that the most flattering cut for me is the Argyll, especially when buttoned and no bulky waistbelt or waistcoat worn under it.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Since the Prince Charlie coatee and the Montrose shell jacket were introduced in the 20th century, at the time which Highland outfitters/tailors were producing catalogues, we can see how the firms which made them presented them to the public.

Over and over it was stressed that the Prince Charlie was suited for young slim fashionable men, and the Doublet was recommended for mature gents.

With the Montrose it's interesting that it's initially shown as a youth's costume, and the catalogues generally have it modelled on what appear to be teenagers or perhaps men in their early 20's.

These attitudes have gone by the wayside and at events I usually see Prince Charlies worn by older (and often rotund) gents. I hardly see the Montrose at all these days, though it was very popular in the 1940s and 1950s.

Being a large person myself, I can say that the most flattering cut for me is the Argyll, especially when buttoned and no bulky waistbelt or waistcoat worn under it.
    I confess I am more comfortable with the Argyle than any (even the Crail). And while I admire the military dublet, I feel it would look silly on me (and we do not want to shame the kilt). I worry that the Sheriffmuir, with a pyramidal gap revealing my waistcoat, might not be flattering either. I will likely agonize over this through the summer before embarking on this next sartorial adventure. Thank you for your input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, in a fit of uncharacteristic vanity, I had hoped to wear the Montrose, with jabot and wrist flourishes, appropriate bonnet, plaid, and polished basket hilt for a large painted portrait to be hung surreptitiously above my stairs and only visible to those descending. And after this to be worn to the occasional Burns Supper with swagger and dash ... at least that is how it appeared in my imagination.

I am being swayed by your counsel friends (and my exceedingly slow progress in slimming down - weight loss my cardiologist and primary care physician advise and applaud as well). Your input is much appreciated.

- Steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something like this? (I've never had occasion to wear it anywhere except the deck. Rather overdone really, just for fun.)

Last edited by Father Bill; 24th February 24 at 04:52 PM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post: