X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    A plaid is a really good thing to have - a real one, not a square of fabric over one shoulder.
    By real plaid do you mean a so called lairds or day plaid similar to what is discussed in this old thread? I've been thinking of getting something like it. What size would you recommend? https://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/...y-plaid-54361/
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just out bid on ex-army kilt on eBay. Thanks, will try again!

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Myself, as a regular kilt-wearer in France for more than 15 years, I feel I can speak with the voice of experience.

I strongly urge you to avoid man-made fibres and cotton - wool is insulating and is good protection against the sun as well as keeping out the cold. The fanning movement of the pleats keeps the air circulating, and the free movement of the front aprons of a kilt also give considerable comfort, even in temperatures higher than 40C.

Black Watch is one of the most popular tartans, and finding a kilt in it is easy - eBay.co.uk often has listings for ex-army kilts for very reasonable prices (remember British army kilts are made to NATO quality specifications) and are extremely robust - ideal for hiking. These also have sizing labels that give the hight, waist breech and length of the intended wearer, so finding a good fit is straight-forward.

If you prefer to go for a kilt in ancient colours, you may be lucky and find an off-the-peg kilt to suit, but there are excellent kilt-makers already well-established in France. I know the work of Chrystel Amyot (Lady Chrystel Kilts - www.lady-chrystel-kilts.com) who is at 18260 Vailly-sur-Sauldre, and can thoroughly recommend her highly skilled work. You can speak to her in English if necessary.

As for choice of fabric weight, for a man's kilt it is a great mistake to go for a material less than a medium-weight (13oz/400gsm) as the lighter weight cloths fail to hold their pleats and crumple easily. Even in high temperatures, a heavy-weight 16oz cloth is preferable, and the difference in weight when being worn in imperceptible and it gives a better hang or drape.

Do not be fooled into thinking a light-weight cloth is necessary for warm climates - remember the Highland regiments stationed in India wore their heavy wool kilts in great heat, and the military records show they suffered from the heat less than their trousered coleagues.

Feel free to ask if you need more information.
    Just out bid on a Black Watch ex-army kilt on eBay. Unfortunately my £200+ bid was not enough!<Thanks though, I will try again!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    By real plaid do you mean a so called lairds or day plaid similar to what is discussed in this old thread? I've been thinking of getting something like it. What size would you recommend? https://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/...y-plaid-54361/
    Or maybe a 'drummer's plaid' in military terms.

I have the luxury of a large stash of fabric, so to make my things to take on holiday in the campervan - no more long hikes left, I'm afraid, I can find a length of good cloth left from cutting off a kilt length in one piece, so for a cosy plaid I might have 27 inches or even more in width, and enough length so I can tuck one corner at the waist, by the buckle on the right side, wrap right around at waist height then up and around the shoulders or over the head and still be long enough to protect the right arm and hands.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About hiking or travelling kilt.
    Wool is fine, but...

Why I use USAkilts casual.
    When travelling or hiking carrying your stuff the weight matters. That casual weighs about 600g. A Woollen 16oz(?) 8-yard kilt weighs about 2700g and a woollen 5-yard box-pleated about 1600g. The size of the packed kilt is an issue too. That 8-yarder in a carry-on package does not feel good.
    The material USAkilts use in those casuals might be different from many other PV kilts. Anyway, it is a lot better than my first kilt, Buyakilt 8-yard PV. The casual has seen a lot more service than the first one and still looks about pristine.
    In the casual, no straps interfere with the backpack hip strap.

If the weight, or size packed, does not matter then the woollen 5-yard (box-pleated?) is a fine option. More yards make the back of the kilt a bit too heavy to be comfortable.

An eight-yard heavy one is fine if you are going to sit on cold surfaces, like rock, on the 1st of May celebrations in Finland. You have several layers of fabric between you and the COLD surface.
    If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done.
    ---
    Ludwig Wittgenstein (26 April 1889 – 29 April 1951)

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kylahullu For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJohn View Post
    Just out bid on a Black Watch ex-army kilt on eBay. Unfortunately my £200+ bid was not enough!<Thanks though, I will try again!
    Have you tried the Royal Regiment of Scotland kilts on eBay? Many are less than £200 and you can "buy it now".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was an RRS kilt.

Thanks, but the kilt I was outbid on was an RRS kilt, just my luck it went for over £200. So I will keep looking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12