X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any suggestions for best kilt to hike around southern Europe?

Poly viscose, cotton, acrylic or light weight wool? Any suggestions for which type of kilt I should be looking for and where to purchase a good quality hiking kilt (Scotland/UK preferably but US otherwise) Black Watch ancient is my favorite tartan as my Dad was in the 2nd battalion. Many thanks Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    USA kilts casual.
    It has been my "go-to" kilt for a few years.
    It looks good, does not weigh more than a pair of trousers and can be washed in a washing machine if needed.
    If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done.
    ---
    Ludwig Wittgenstein (26 April 1889 – 29 April 1951)

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Kylahullu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,

I will take a closer look at their website.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wool is always best. Cool when it's hot. Warm when it's cold. Resists permanent stains pretty well, and as noted, wool washes if you know how to do that carefully.

Lots of advice on this forum about washing a kilt. May take some time to dry, but for the sake of all that is good, kind, and decent, please never in a dryer or it's just a scrap of cloth that you used to like when it was still a garment. Advice here on the forum on drying too, but you'd likely hold the wash until you were home and could wear your... other kilts while it's drying.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ScotWeb offers PV and the company is based in Glasgow.
    https://clan.com/products/kilts-and-highlandwear/kilts
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a huge fan of wool and would wear only wool if I could find and afford appropriate garments. It looks and feels better longer than virtually any other fabric, remains warm even when wet, and dries faster than cotton. But it is heavy when wet and does not dry as quickly as acrylic, which could be an important consideration on the trail.

I've seen acrylics that look and feel good. Acrylic dries faster than wool, and is lighter weight.

If I were going to be on the trail for a while (more than a few days), I would consider taking one to wear and a backup. Perhaps a wool one and an acrylic.

Aye and best of luck to you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylahullu View Post
    USA kilts casual.
    It has been my "go-to" kilt for a few years.
    It looks good, does not weigh more than a pair of trousers and can be washed in a washing machine if needed.
    I, wholeheartedly, agree with Kylahullu. My first "real" kilt was a casual kilt from USA Kilts - about ten years ago - and it is still in great condition. I now own five of them but I also have a real wool kilt. I seldom wear the wool but my that first casual is still my go-to kilt in which to be out and about.

If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJohn View Post
    Poly viscose, cotton, acrylic or light weight wool? Any suggestions for which type of kilt I should be looking for and where to purchase a good quality hiking kilt (Scotland/UK preferably but US otherwise) Black Watch ancient is my favorite tartan as my Dad was in the 2nd battalion. Many thanks Andrew
    Myself, as a regular kilt-wearer in France for more than 15 years, I feel I can speak with the voice of experience.

I strongly urge you to avoid man-made fibres and cotton - wool is insulating and is good protection against the sun as well as keeping out the cold. The fanning movement of the pleats keeps the air circulating, and the free movement of the front aprons of a kilt also give considerable comfort, even in temperatures higher than 40C.

Black Watch is one of the most popular tartans, and finding a kilt in it is easy - eBay.co.uk often has listings for ex-army kilts for very reasonable prices (remember British army kilts are made to NATO quality specifications) and are extremely robust - ideal for hiking. These also have sizing labels that give the hight, waist breech and length of the intended wearer, so finding a good fit is straight-forward.

If you prefer to go for a kilt in ancient colours, you may be lucky and find an off-the-peg kilt to suit, but there are excellent kilt-makers already well-established in France. I know the work of Chrystel Amyot (Lady Chrystel Kilts - www.lady-chrystel-kilts.com) who is at 18260 Vailly-sur-Sauldre, and can thoroughly recommend her highly skilled work. You can speak to her in English if necessary.

As for choice of fabric weight, for a man's kilt it is a great mistake to go for a material less than a medium-weight (13oz/400gsm) as the lighter weight cloths fail to hold their pleats and crumple easily. Even in high temperatures, a heavy-weight 16oz cloth is preferable, and the difference in weight when being worn in imperceptible and it gives a better hang or drape.

Do not be fooled into thinking a light-weight cloth is necessary for warm climates - remember the Highland regiments stationed in India wore their heavy wool kilts in great heat, and the military records show they suffered from the heat less than their trousered coleagues.

Feel free to ask if you need more information.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Myself, as a regular kilt-wearer in France for more than 15 years, I feel I can speak with the voice of experience.

I strongly urge you to avoid man-made fibres and cotton - wool is insulating and is good protection against the sun as well as keeping out the cold. The fanning movement of the pleats keeps the air circulating, and the free movement of the front aprons of a kilt also give considerable comfort, even in temperatures higher than 40C.

Black Watch is one of the most popular tartans, and finding a kilt in it is easy - eBay.co.uk often has listings for ex-army kilts for very reasonable prices (remember British army kilts are made to NATO quality specifications) and are extremely robust - ideal for hiking. These also have sizing labels that give the hight, waist breech and length of the intended wearer, so finding a good fit is straight-forward.

If you prefer to go for a kilt in ancient colours, you may be lucky and find an off-the-peg kilt to suit, but there are excellent kilt-makers already well-established in France. I know the work of Chrystel Amyot (Lady Chrystel Kilts - www.lady-chrystel-kilts.com) who is at 18260 Vailly-sur-Sauldre, and can thoroughly recommend her highly skilled work. You can speak to her in English if necessary.

As for choice of fabric weight, for a man's kilt it is a great mistake to go for a material less than a medium-weight (13oz/400gsm) as the lighter weight cloths fail to hold their pleats and crumple easily. Even in high temperatures, a heavy-weight 16oz cloth is preferable, and the difference in weight when being worn in imperceptible and it gives a better hang or drape.

Do not be fooled into thinking a light-weight cloth is necessary for warm climates - remember the Highland regiments stationed in India wore their heavy wool kilts in great heat, and the military records show they suffered from the heat less than their trousered coleagues.

Feel free to ask if you need more information.
    As an occasional kilt wearer in France, I absolutely agree with what is written above. Sound advice here.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have worn wool kilts in some rather exciting and trying weather and can swear that only wool is going to do the job.
    If you are out in heavy rain then a kilt which is long enough to catch in the fold of your knee is a nightmare - hoisting up the kilt and tightening the belt or straps is a good idea, or even turning over the waist band as the weight will drag it down as it absorbs water.

A plaid is a really good thing to have - a real one, not a square of fabric over one shoulder. I was at the week long Sidmouth folk festival one year when the rain was astonishing, but one night returning to my van I could stand with my plaid wrapped around me and over my head and watch two badgers playing in the water rushing down the gutters, coming very close to me - something which few people can have ever experienced, I suspect. By that time the water was running off me, I was soaked to the skin, but I was not cold and could stand until the badgers scampered off towards higher ground and still arrived back at the van feeling quite sanguine about the situation.
    I could hang up the plaid and lay my kilt over the table but they did take around three days to dry. Had I not had several sets of clothing I could have just put them on next morning and had them dry off, though.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast