X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Murdoch Mysteries S17 E11

Murdoch Mysteries is a long running CBC drama featuring turn of the (20th) century Toronto police. S17 E11 features the detectives investigating a murder at a Highland Games event. Highland sports and dancing make an appearance. Clan grudges appear in the plot line.
    In the US, the series is shown in a sporadic nature on a couple of streaming service. Season 17 was the most recent shown the CBC. It’s scheduled to be shown on Ovation beginning in February. I found this episode ( and other S17) on You Tube. Various channels post them. None are sanctioned by the CBC so an episode may stay up only as long as it takes for the CBC to ask it be taken down as a copyright violation. A search may show an episode appearing on more than one channel. It might disappear on one to reappear on another.
    Those using VPNs may be able to mask their country and watch it on CBC.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Brian Rose For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The episode is up now, let's see how long it stays up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfukwiKuSks

It's nice to hear a high-quality piper playing the correct tune for the Sword Dance!

But the Highland costumes are outrageously anachronistic.

I'm guessing from the style of shirt collars etc that it's supposed to take place c1890-1910 however the Highland outfits are pure 1980s Kilt Hire, including:

-pure white hose (which didn't appear until the late 1980s)

-kilt-hire "semi dress" sporrans (which didn't appear until around 1980)

-Prince Charlie coatees (which had been invented shortly prior to 1910 but weren't widely seen until the 1930s)

Add to that one gent is wearing a Weathered Tartan. These weren't introduced until the late 1940s.

These illustrations well show some of the variety of "day dress" as would have been worn at a Highland Games around 1900:

and this sort of outfit for the Evening do:

Last edited by OC Richard; 29th January 24 at 01:29 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watch some of it today when I had time between work. I can’t believe they were talking about the Glen Coe Massacre. And then to my surprise, still fight about it during the games 🤣🤣🤣
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVgTGPvWpU7cAv4KJ4cWRpQ

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Patty Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=OC Richard;1406389]The episode is up now, let's see how long it stays up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfukwiKuSks

Words don't often fail me..............................but, that episode has to be absolutely the worst interpretation of Scottish Highland attire and Highland attitudes that I have ever seen.I don't honestly know whether to laugh or cry!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Logan View Post
    I watch some of it today when I had time between work. I can’t believe they were talking about the Glen Coe Massacre. And then to my surprise, still fight about it during the games ������
    Make no mistake given the right, or, in this particular case, probably the wrong circumstances, feelings can let rip at the drop of a hat even today.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 19th February 24 at 04:40 AM. Reason: added a clarification
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

Words don't often fail me..............................but, that episode has to be absolutely the worst interpretation of Scottish Highland attire...that I have ever seen.
    Agree 100%

It's horrid.

The costumes suggest that either 1) the costumer was lazy and didn't bother to do any research or 2) the episode was done on a tight budget.

Or possibly both.

It appears that they simply went to the closest Kilt Hire Shop and hired everything to dress the actors and extras.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    That episode has to be absolutely the worst interpretation of...Highland attitudes that I have ever seen.
    About that I'll take your word on it! Being an American I wouldn't know.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th February 24 at 06:53 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte