X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Understood. Perhaps more appealing to you. Perhaps less Scottish to the rest of us. That's fine!

Notice that you're in Hawai'i. Do those Hawai'an shirts match anything? ;)

Just teasing. We all wear our kilts the way we want to, and that's the way you want to.
    PLEASE take it as a cry for help if you ever see a picture of me in a kilt and Hawaiian shirt 😆

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MHorne39 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MHorne39 View Post
    PLEASE take it as a cry for help if you ever see a picture of me in a kilt and Hawaiian shirt 😆
    I've seen it done. Not to be imitated!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen Hawaiian shirts with highland cows on them so don’t discount that combo.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MHorne39 View Post
    I appreciate the input everyone, but I’m specifically looking for TARTAN colors that would match...
    You say "match" which is simple: find a tartan that's primarily the same colour as the sporran.

Here are outfits based on matching.

For an example of a dark brown and black tartan go to House of Edgar's page of their Hebridean Range, scroll down and there's a tartan called Fearthainn https://www.houseofedgar.com/product...idean-tartans/

For less strict matching, here are two brown sporrans with a primarily brown tartan (Hunting Stewart Weathered)

If however you mean co-ordinate the same principles apply to tartan as to tweed.

If we're talking brown, it being a dark low-saturation red-orange then anything with mid-to-light greens and/or blues would compliment.

There are hundreds of primarily blue & green tartans which in "modern colours" would compliment but not have that dark v light contrast that helps things co-ordinate. For that you could get any of the same tartans in "ancient colours" where the blues and greens are lighter.

Like this one, Douglas Ancient https://www.lochcarron.co.uk/douglas...RoCsZQQAvD_BwE

If we're talking black, there's no such thing as colour-complimenting or colour-co-ordination because black isn't a colour. Black just sits there and looks black no matter what colour it's paired with.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 27th February 24 at 06:06 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some screen grans from the sites I suggested:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally, I would go with a Withered Tartan Like Murray or Blair. it is brown like the main color in your sporran with red accents like the accents in your sporran. many any Weathered Tartan that has red accents.

Murr Weathered Tartan.jpg
    Last edited by Patty Logan; 28th February 24 at 08:55 AM.
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVgTGPvWpU7cAv4KJ4cWRpQ

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying a kilt to make the tartan match a sporran? That's a bit like buying a car to make it match a set of wheels. I suppose it's your prerogative, but it's an unusual concept that seems like a backwards approach.

All this matchy-matchy angst is unnecessary, and the end result may very well look like you tried way too hard, or were dressed by an interior decorator for a reality show. Maybe I'm just getting crotchety and ornery as I age, but when people start talking about colour wheels and whatnot, they're taking this whole concept way beyond the realm of sanity (IMHO of course). If you like the sporran, cool. Wear it with any kilt, in any tartan. No colour-matching needs to apply.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Buying a kilt to make the tartan match a sporran? That's a bit like buying a car to make it match a set of wheels. I suppose it's your prerogative, but it's an unusual concept that seems like a backwards approach.

All this matchy-matchy angst is unnecessary, and the end result may very well look like you tried way too hard, or were dressed by an interior decorator for a reality show. Maybe I'm just getting crotchety and ornery as I age, but when people start talking about colour wheels and whatnot, they're taking this whole concept way beyond the realm of sanity (IMHO of course). If you like the sporran, cool. Wear it with any kilt, in any tartan. No colour-matching needs to apply.
    Bravo! Well said.Exactly so. :lol
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12