X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    The example at right is certainly a unique way of wearing it, and I would imagine it requires some assistance to get it wrapped just so, in order to end up with a neat and tidy finish like he has (i.e. everything laid smoothly and evenly, without bunching up the jacket or twisting it round). It seems like a brilliant solution, especially for walking in a procession like this where the simple over-the-shoulder drape tends to constantly want to fall off.

The one in the middle with it behind his back and over both shoulders probably had the same issue and decided to wear it that way to free up his left hand for whatever it is he's carrying. What I like about this photo is that it shows such varied ways of wearing the day plaid, as well as the use of the day plaid as a civilian ceremonial bit of garb. I am assuming these are clan chiefs or dignitaries, and in my opinion what we see here was the height of Highland daywear.

As for the scorn some people have for the plaid, well, I suppose the primary complaint is that it's too costumey. I think it certainly has its place for something like a parade (as in the photo), or other ceremonial event where one is on display and expected to make a good showing. Additionally, I would not hesitate to wear mine when there's a threat of inclement weather, where I might need to put it to use for warmth or as an impromptu rain coat. But I do think it's a bit much for just regular old daywear. When there isn't a ceremonial or practical need, it comes off as a slightly anachronistic bit of costumery.
    The over-the-left-shoulder style is probably the most common for non-band members, and the central figure is wearing his plaid in the way often sported by shepherds - I wear mine in this way occasionally.

There are a couple of other ways which I have also seen, one of which is to have the plaid across the body from the left shoulder to the right hip, and with the plaid in a half-knot at the lower right. This can be seen in old engravings.

The other style is for the plaid to be wound around the waist with a half-knot at the left and the remainder of the length of the material thrown over the left shoulder.

I have only recently come across the 'Laird's Plaid' term, knowing it only as a 'plaid'. Pipers', drimmers' and fly-plaids being recognised versions for specific reasons, but I have to wonder why specifically 'laird's plaid' for what here in Scotland is simply a plaid. I mean, a plaid is a plaid, and how it is worn is a matter of personal choice and really has nothing to do with status.

People often use the term 'shepherd's plaid' when they really mean shepherd-check for the pattern of the cloth, I have noticed, which conjours up all sorts of images in the mind and leads to amusing conversations.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post

The gent on the far right is wearing his plaid in a way I have only ever seen in illustrations or photos, or referred to by description - never in 'real life' in other words.
    For sure it's reminiscent of this 17th century illustration, the fellow on the left.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I have only recently come across the 'Laird's Plaid' term, knowing it only as a 'plaid'. Pipers', drimmers' and fly-plaids being recognised versions for specific reasons, but I have to wonder why specifically 'laird's plaid' for what here in Scotland is simply a plaid. I mean, a plaid is a plaid, and how it is worn is a matter of personal choice and really has nothing to do with status.
    I've no idea where the terminology originated. I will admit to this being pure conjecture on my part, but I would think that this distinction is made specifically for the type of plaid seen in my photos above where both ends are fringed and the length is suited primarily for this purpose of wearing over the left shoulder as a decorative daywear item. Since other types of plaids have their own specific lengths, shapes, and edge/end decoration, and come with their own prefixes or modifiers before the word plaid, it seems like there ought to be a modifier for this specific style as well rather than just calling it a generic plaid. This would not be the type of plaid one hand-pleats and straps on as a great kilt, due to the fringing, so perhaps that's a necessary descriptor to differentiate it from the original simple plaid. *shrug*

I do prefer the term day plaid for this style rather than laird's plaid. I would assume that the laird's plaid nomenclature was applied as a romanticised term, possibly because it's a vestigial ornament that doesn't see much use by common kilt-wearers but still remains popular amongst chiefs and such. *shrug again*

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post

I do prefer the term day plaid for this style rather than laird's plaid. I would assume that the laird's plaid nomenclature was applied as a romanticised term, possibly because it's a vestigial ornament that doesn't see much use by common kilt-wearers but still remains popular amongst chiefs and such. *shrug again*
    So do I. I had never heard the term "lairds plaid"used, until I joined this website........... and I still haven't "out in the wild".

Yes you still see the occasional day plaid worn by some, usually by the Clan Chief and some of his party at an occasion, but otherwise the only time, on rare occasion, I have seen day plaids, is either in a dog basket or draped over the back of a large sofa. I honestly think, the day plaid's day is over and is now solely the territory for the theatrically minded poser.

I actually have one somewhere and I did dig it out of a trunk many years ago when this very subject came to the fore, on this website. I actually took the trouble to measure it! I am afraid that those measurements have slipped my mind now and frankly, I really don't think it matters these days.

From distant memory when I did carry one they were an absolutely a real bind to keep in place draped over the shoulder and on the rare occasion when actually used, they did keep us warm, but as to keeping out the serious wet-------forget it! When the wax coated Barbour coat became widely available, the day plaid on view, swiftly became history for most of us.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 9th March 24 at 05:34 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My long plaids are most used at folk festivals where nothing is too costumey.

I keep them under control either with discrete lanyards or some curtain ties with tassels either green or gold.

I do have a certain roughy toughy reputation, and down here on the south coast temperatures just don't get down to below zero very often so the plaid is almost practical.

I play a melodeon, which is quite vulnerable to rain, the bellows are basically cardboard, the reeds can go rusty, so throwing several layers of woollen fabric around it to keep the rain off is a good way to protect the investment - it is a 2 voice Dino Baffetti in the keys of D/G.

I'd certainly be packing the Helly Hansen jacket and Barbour coat if venturing north of Hadrian's wall, with a waterproof box for the melodeon with a strict rain stops play policy.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123