X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

antique youth uniform

We recently purchased an antique youth uniform, but we want to complement it with a matching sporran and glengarry cap.

It looks as late 19th century model, but we would appreciate your help on dating it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scot.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	43342

We found something similar sold in a French auction claiming to be from 1876:

Name:	282.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	43343

Once dated, we would like to find a sporran and a cap, similar to the one that was sold in the auction. The horse hair we found on ebay, etsy, etc seem to be from the 1950s, and we couldn't find any antique junior caps.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dating these outfi5s (it's not a uniform) is an im0recise art without clues such as the original owner, or if the buttons are hallmarked. A date is 1880-1910 is reasonable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Dating these outfi5s (it's not a uniform) is an im0recise art without clues such as the original owner, or if the buttons are hallmarked. A date is 1880-1910 is reasonable.
    Agreed, we are new to this particular styles, but have some edwardian/victorian knowledge. The laced sleeves offer a clue, and I was hoping the vest/skirt combo would reveal some trend typical for specific decade.

What about the cap and sporran? Where would I get something dating back then?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ohliuw View Post
    Agreed, we are new to this particular styles, but have some edwardian/victorian knowledge. The laced sleeves offer a clue, and I was hoping the vest/skirt combo would reveal some trend typical for specific decade.

What about the cap and sporran? Where would I get something dating back then?
    A child's glengarry and sporran, especially the latter, often come up on ebay. Here is on such (way overpriced though).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285183034...Bk9SR4bpyYrDYw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    A child's glengarry and sporran, especially the latter, often come up on ebay. Here is on such (way overpriced though).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285183034...Bk9SR4bpyYrDYw
    I checked ebay and etsy, but the sporrans I was able to date were mostly vintage, not 1900ish (e.g. based on the company's name stamped on the leather - e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/196228644134, the company is Hugh Macpherson Edinburgh, which points to 1950-1960.

Are there any specific clues that help dating these - e.g. chains, strap style, etc? The caps seem to be even more difficult to date.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there are pretty much always child's sporrans for sale on Ebay.

They're often wildly overpriced and never sell. Even the ones at low prices rarely have takers.

You'd want the long goat hair/ horse hair style, like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23543910171...%7C1750%7C3000

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37490369377...Bk9SR9LgjJvDYw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19622864413...%7C1750%7C3000

I really like this one, it's perhaps the oldest currently on Ebay, quite possibly Victorian.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25638594655...%7C1750%7C3000

Actually I happen to have a quite old child's size crossbelt, black leather with ornate German Silver hardware, which I have little use for. Let me know if you would like it.

Another thing about Ebay, there are always tons of Victorian and Edwardian photos for sale showing children in these outfits. I think some photography studios kept outfits for subjects to wear.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 7th March 24 at 09:19 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    date letter

Are there any specific clues that help dating these - e.g. chains, strap style, etc? The caps seem to be even more difficult to date.
    It is relatively easy to date and even identify the maker of British silver, just look for the hallmarks stamped on the individual pieces, for example each silver link on a chain will have a "date letter" hallmark, plus others(usually 5 in all) that can be dated. If there are no hallmarks, the piece in question may still be silver, but it cannot by British law, be sold as silver. There are pages and pages on British hallmarks( dates, maker, assay office, official silver stamp which are not always easy to read on the item) and other information to be found on Google should you wish to delve more deeply into the subject. A rule of thumb that is not entirely accurate, when it comes to British silver is: No hallmark, its not silver. .................................................. ......even though it may be, but without those hallmarks its value is diminished.

BE CAREFUL! Silver buttons with say, early Victorian date stamps, may well be transferred on to a later constructed coat, simply because the owner wants to keep the buttons. I have such a jacket and the unknowing may well make false assumptions about its age by looking at the hallmarks on the buttons. The date on the buttons, chain links, etc., could easily be 150 or more years older than the garment, item, that you are looking at.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 8th March 24 at 03:49 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took some close-ups of the buttons. Not the best quality, let me know if you need better photo. Any clues!

Name:	IMG_5503.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	43349

Name:	IMG_5499.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	43350

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took some close-ups of the buttons. Not the best quality, let me know if you need better photo. Any clues!

Name:	IMG_5503.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	43349

Name:	IMG_5499.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	43350
    Here's some background on the button shape and the inscription.

Their workmanship of those on the outfit is quite poorly defined which points to mass production of the late 19th century.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very beautiful, kilts were popular childrens clothing in the victorian era, so who knows it could be genuine, if it is real i don't think it's a uniform but rather a "growing up outfit" i think there is a name for it but a tradition that lasted until WWI was having your kids wear a specific outfit until a certain age, the sailor suit was one of those, but kilts make sense for breeching.