X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from south UK

Hello, I’m a celtic descendant living in the UK, I have wanted a kilt for years but i can’t remember where i heard of your forum, but it looks an amazing place, after years of desire i recently took the plunge on a cheap kilt and I can’t wait for it to come, even though i know someone who hates kilts.

I do have a few questions

1: how do i put a kilt on? I know it’s wrapped but do you need someone to help you bring it round? I know they are massive.

2: is there anything I should know about wearing over my trousers? Like the punk style.

3: can I wear it for St Patrick’s day?

4: where can I find a good sporran and pin? Or should I wait till I have a nicer kilt?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"

Quote Originally Posted by AmateurKiltsmen View Post
    Hello, I’m a celtic descendant living in the UK, I have wanted a kilt for years but i can’t remember where i heard of your forum, but it looks an amazing place, after years of desire i recently took the plunge on a cheap kilt and I can’t wait for it to come, even though i know someone who hates kilts.

I do have a few questions

1: how do i put a kilt on? I know it’s wrapped but do you need someone to help you bring it round? I know they are massive.
    You can do it yourself. Do up the buckle on your under-apron first, (normally on your left hip) then the over-apron.

2: is there anything I should know about wearing over my trousers? Like the punk style.
    Just that it's pretty unusual, and to my own eye, somewhat feminine. If that's okay with you, then it's your call.

3: can I wear it for St Patrick’s day?
    Sure. A lot of people will ask you 'why' since it's not particularly Irish except in a few variations, but again it's your call. Read more here for some of the Irish variations to be discussed.

4: where can I find a good sporran and pin? Or should I wait till I have a nicer kilt?
    The sporran is pretty necessary for your keys and wallet, etc. since kilts usually have no pockets. Watch online here - sporrans often come up. The pin is purely optional.

Final advice: always best to save your money and go for quality rather than do it in a hurry and later regret having spent hard-earned cash on cheap stuff.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post

You can do it yourself. Do up the buckle on your under-apron first, (normally on your left hip) then the over-apron.

Just that it's pretty unusual, and to my own eye, somewhat feminine. If that's okay with you, then it's your call.

Sure. A lot of people will ask you 'why' since it's not particularly Irish except in a few variations, but again it's your call. Read more here for some of the Irish variations to be discussed.

The sporran is pretty necessary for your keys and wallet, etc. since kilts usually have no pockets. Watch online here - sporrans often come up. The pin is purely optional.

Final advice: always best to save your money and go for quality rather than do it in a hurry and later regret having spent hard-earned cash on cheap stuff.

Thank you for the kind words, when it comes to putting it on I guess I’ll practice when I get it, I know it’s not really usual to wear kilts over trousers but personal comfort wins out anyday, it’s also not a very traditional kilt, it’s black with stripes of royal Stewart mainly along the pleats and has d rings and pockets, I don’t know if it’s a five or eight yarder.

Yes I’ve got into arguments before over that, I personally think it’s great that the kilt has become a symbol of Celtic identity (for reference my grandmother came over here from Ireland) and I don’t really understand why people get so hung up over it, when things like utility kilts exist and you can still buy a great kilt, but once it’s very nice to receive such a warm welcome and not receive constant hate messages the likes of which I shall not share here.

My next kilt will probably be an Irish one, tartan, saffron, blue or green I can’t say for sure but that’s when I’ll probably get a sporran and pin.

I wanted to start small and work my way up, friends and family seem to be taking it ok so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	43356

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post

Thank you for the advice and kind words, I just spent like ten minutes writing a reply only for it not to send so I’m going to be quick with this one.

I do understand but I wouldn’t feel too comfortable wearing a kilt traditionally, besides the kilt I bought is like a hybrid kilt.

While there’s a lot of sad people (and I don’t really understand why because things like utility kilts exist) I love how the kilt is becoming a symbol of Celtic identity for all (for reference my grandmother came over here from Ireland) and I love the warm welcome, other sites I got constant abuse the likes of which I’ll spare you from, but my next kilt will be Irish and that’s probably when I’m going to buy a nice pin and sporran.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those wondering this is the kilt I bought

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	43357

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a variation of a utility kilt. If so, most have side pockets. It appears this one does.

Welcome to "X" from Northern Colorado!
    Last edited by COScotsman; 14th March 24 at 12:10 PM.
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I think it’s a hybrid kilt after some googling, are they five or eight yards?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurKiltsmen View Post
    Thank you, I think it’s a hybrid kilt after some googling, are they five or eight yards?
    A good question. The answer must be all it's own. Or rather something around 4 Yard. Difficult to see. But my guts tell me, something like a box pleated kilt?

Most 5 to 8 Yard kilts are knife pleated. As to the difference between Box, Military Box, Knife pleats, try to search in here. There's a wealth of info to obtain...

And welcome from Denmark !

Oh. Nearly forgot. you normally don't use a Sporran with a utilikilt (or similar).
    Last edited by Hauge; 14th March 24 at 02:27 PM.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hauge For This Useful Post: