X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ham Radio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ham Radio

Has anyone else here got an interest in amateur radio or just SWL/Scanning for that matter? I got my first licence back in 2022 and i recently passed my test for the next level up so i'm waiting for the cert, my current radio is the Quansheng UV-K6 but mine handles more like a claymore because it has the crazy 18.5" "tactical" antenna on it, it's not a bad radio with custom firmware.

I've also got the old FT-60, a nice HF rig too but no HF antenna up at the moment, but it should be soon, that's a G5RV full size.

I also got an RSP1A SDR which i use a lot, super easy to make massive scan banks and leave it scanning in the background.

My callsign has a K in it so i always have the urge to use Kilt instead of Kilo as the phonetic, but that's bad op practice and too many ops are using non-standard phonetics as it is.

If you haven't got an interest in Ham radio, then feel free to ask me anything, i'll try to answer, and no if you're licenced you don't need to share your call if you don't want to.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to AmateurKiltsmen For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R de VE3NRQ Utterly inactive. Got my ticket in 1983 - World Communication Year. 73 OM
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OZ3TM here. Been licensed since 1988. But not much QRV, the last 24 Years.
    Childrens, career, and bad HF/QRO QTH, has taken it's time...
    Still have my ol TS-530 and TS700G's packed down, among other gear.
    So might happen, the licence will go on air again eventually..?

Vy 73, OZ3TM, Tonni

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was licensed in 1970 with the call WB8GXB. After my dad passed away I picked up his call W8RKO. Dad was licensed in 1953.

I am still active today from 630 meters (472 KHz) up through 440 MHz. Experiment on 10 GHz sometimes. I also maintain the repeater systems for the Montgomery County Amateur Radio Emergency Services.

For those that use the KiwiSDR network for listening, I have a receiver on that network. You will find it under my call. Make sure "band" is set to "all". For those that are not hams but want to listen to shortwave or even the AM broadcast band the Kiwi network is ideal. Learning a foreign language and want to listen to something from the country of interest? Check the Kiwi map for a receiver in that location. For example, learning Japanese ? Connect to a receiver in Japan and listen to the broadcast band. Only speak English? Many countries have English speaking broadcasts. Interesting to listen to the news from the other side of the world.

For the Kiwi map go to https://kiwisdr.com/public and click on the MAP button. You can see what countries are active. Zoom in and click on the markers for a particular receiver. From the main page you can search. Best to search on a state or country rather than a city. A receiver in a big city may actually be located in the surrounding area and listed as such.

I noticed something interesting as I was typing this. There were a few receivers in China. They are no longer on the map. Interesting.

The receivers are good up to 30 MHz. There were two that had aircraft converters. One near Moscow and the other in Japan. Looks like only Japan is online now.

I use this network to listen to my own signal to check propagation around the world. Note there is a couple seconds delay in the audio if trying to listen live.

The receivers are privately owned so don't be surprised if the map changes over time. Most of the receivers can accept up to four simultaneous users on different frequencies.

Mike
    W8RKO

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike in Dayton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauge View Post
    OZ3TM here. Been licensed since 1988. But not much QRV, the last 24 Years.
    Childrens, career, and bad HF/QRO QTH, has taken it's time...
    Still have my ol TS-530 and TS700G's packed down, among other gear.
    So might happen, the licence will go on air again eventually..?

Vy 73, OZ3TM, Tonni
    Try some of the new digital modes. The down side is some of those modes are for making contacts and not conversation, such as FT8. You can run less power and smaller antennas. Some modes can handle the noise better than analog. Hope you can get back on the air.

Mike
    W8RKO

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike in Dayton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Dayton View Post
    I was licensed in 1970 with the call WB8GXB. After my dad passed away I picked up his call W8RKO. Dad was licensed in 1953.

I am still active today from 630 meters (472 KHz) up through 440 MHz. Experiment on 10 GHz sometimes. I also maintain the repeater systems for the Montgomery County Amateur Radio Emergency Services.

For those that use the KiwiSDR network for listening, I have a receiver on that network. You will find it under my call. Make sure "band" is set to "all". For those that are not hams but want to listen to shortwave or even the AM broadcast band the Kiwi network is ideal. Learning a foreign language and want to listen to something from the country of interest? Check the Kiwi map for a receiver in that location. For example, learning Japanese ? Connect to a receiver in Japan and listen to the broadcast band. Only speak English? Many countries have English speaking broadcasts. Interesting to listen to the news from the other side of the world.

For the Kiwi map go to https://kiwisdr.com/public and click on the MAP button. You can see what countries are active. Zoom in and click on the markers for a particular receiver. From the main page you can search. Best to search on a state or country rather than a city. A receiver in a big city may actually be located in the surrounding area and listed as such.

I noticed something interesting as I was typing this. There were a few receivers in China. They are no longer on the map. Interesting.

The receivers are good up to 30 MHz. There were two that had aircraft converters. One near Moscow and the other in Japan. Looks like only Japan is online now.

I use this network to listen to my own signal to check propagation around the world. Note there is a couple seconds delay in the audio if trying to listen live.

The receivers are privately owned so don't be surprised if the map changes over time. Most of the receivers can accept up to four simultaneous users on different frequencies.

Mike
    W8RKO
    WebSDRs are what gave me a head start in the hobby, there’s so many of them, I may check yours out later.

Nice J38 btw
    Last edited by AmateurKiltsmen; 18th March 24 at 09:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Dayton View Post
    Try some of the new digital modes. The down side is some of those modes are for making contacts and not conversation, such as FT8. You can run less power and smaller antennas. Some modes can handle the noise better than analog. Hope you can get back on the air.

Mike
    W8RKO
    And that's where i left. To make contacts, and then a report, going on to next QSL... That ain't Ham radio, in my head.

For me, HAM is the common interest in the hobby. Ain't a dang competition!
    If it was all about diplomas as wallpapers, i'd be gone...

Oh and making connections, when needed. I have been making contact, to save lives, once. - The mobile net was down, so 2M did it...

With that said. I'we also spoken my meaning about communication via WWW. Right? ;)

But don't You worry Mike. I haven't given up...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    73 (best regards) de KM6HI.

Licensed since 1983, but not very active at the moment.

Holcombe

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You chaps are almost talking a foreign language! That’s fine, you enjoy what you enjoy. Purely out of interest, is morse code still used?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    You chaps are almost talking a foreign language! That’s fine, you enjoy what you enjoy. Purely out of interest, is morse code still used?
    Absolutely! It can get through when nothing else can.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast