X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Gilt Edged

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilt Edged

I see a lot of Irish Kilts by this make sold as ex-hire on eBay for very reasonable prices.

Are gilt edged a good make? I have got great deals buying ex hire before (my tailcoat, which I love was ex-hire) they have kilt jackets too.

I can’t seem to attach a picture at the moment but will later.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had seen some of their listings on Ebay and my impression was of lower-quality goods.

I just now went on their UK site. They appear to be a legit kilt hire firm.

What I'll need to do it compare their hire prices to the hire prices of firms like MacGregor & MacDuff who only hire top-quality UK-made clothing.

Another thing about MacGregor & MacDuff, if you go through, for example, their ex-hire kilt jackets you'll note that each style is only available in very limited sizes, in other words you can tell they're actually the few remaining ex-hire stock.

This is opposed to the widespread Ebay strategy of firms selling new Pakistani kilt jackets as ex-hire as a marketing ploy- the difference is they somehow have every size always in stock.

For many years all the UK hire firms hired high-quality UK-made clothing and their prices reflected that.

It was jaw-dropping to suddenly see a large number of new hire shops with prices less than half of what the established hire shops were charging. A look and their products explained the prices: they were obviously hiring low-quality Pakistani goods.

So be careful, be wary.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 17th March 24 at 05:07 AM.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I had seen some of their listings on Ebay and my impression was of lower-quality goods.

I just now went on their UK site. They appear to be a legit kilt hire firm.

What I'll need to do it compare their hire prices to the hire prices of firms like MacGregor & MacDuff who only hire top-quality UK-made clothing.

Another thing about MacGregor & MacDuff, if you go through, for example, their ex-hire kilt jackets you'll note that each style is only available in very limited sizes, in other words you can tell they're actually the few remaining ex-hire stock.

This is opposed to the widespread Ebay strategy of firms selling new Pakistani kilt jackets as ex-hire as a marketing ploy- the difference is they somehow have every size always in stock.

For many years all the UK hire firms hired high-quality UK-made clothing and their prices reflected that.

It was jaw-dropping to suddenly see a large number of new hire shops with prices less than half of what the established hire shops were charging. A look and their products explained the prices: they were obviously hiring low-quality Pakistani goods.

So be careful, be wary.
    Thank you for the advice, I’ll look at other ex hire kilts, I’ve seen a few saffron sold on there too, but some of the Irish ones are from the U.S, shipping from outside the country has been expensive since brexit.

Oh and hope you had a great St. Patrick’s day ☘️